A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Substitute Teachers

Old 08-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Rookie

How much do Substitute Teachers Work?

How many days in a week did you work as a substitute teacher? Is it pretty busy like all five days or only twice a week? Lets say you had no other obligation like another job or school and you just wanted to sub / work as much as you can. In that case, can you work all five days or its not possible? Thanks for all the replies beforehand.

I have found this website a great place to share and communicate various different issues.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Enthusiast

Central Ohio
It depends on the particular school district. Some schools have plenty of substitute teachers, so the jobs get spread out.

It depends on how the substitute teachers are called - if there is one person who chooses who to call for each job or if they are posted onto a substitute website where they are open for all substitute teachers.

It depends on the time of the year. Certain times are slow and other times are very busy.

It depends if you are signed up for just one school district or many school districts.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:03 AM
Guru

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaLL View Post
It depends on the particular school district. Some schools have plenty of substitute teachers, so the jobs get spread out.

It depends on how the substitute teachers are called - if there is one person who chooses who to call for each job or if they are posted onto a substitute website where they are open for all substitute teachers.

It depends on the time of the year. Certain times are slow and other times are very busy.

It depends if you are signed up for just one school district or many school districts.
Exactly.

Unfortunately, we really can't answer your question!
I will say, that in May, you tend to get called more!

I was completely open availability wise, and there were weeks I worked only 1 day and weeks I worked everyday. I only subbed for 1 district- my alma matter and I had another steady full-time night/weekend job.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:42 AM
Companion

Southern California
3rd/4th/5th Math and SS
I was a sub for 2 years in only one district and built up teachers who would only call me (and schedule me months in advance) and a school who would request me if the office manager needed to set it up. I probably worked an average of 3-4 days a week, some being 5 days, others 2. I never turned down a job and I had zero preferences or days I couldn't work.

I was technically a sub in 2 districts--an elementary (here it's K-6) and also a middle/high school district. I only subbed for one teacher in a middle school though. Besides his classes, I just wasn't a fan of the older kids.

I was really happy subbing. I got tons of great experience, I met amazing teachers that gave me wonderful ideas and I got to see what I wanted to teach and what I didn't. (I had wanted to teach high school gov't but after subbing I love the primary kids.)

Hope it helped!
Old 08-15-2008, 01:50 AM
Cohort

WI
K-5 Math Intervention
If you want to sub everyday, I would try to sub in more than one district if there are multiple districts within the distance you'd be willing to drive. You still won't be guaranteed a job everyday, but you'll probably have a better chance.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:39 AM
Cohort

Middle School Teacher
I agree with the other posters. Try and get into as many districts as you can handle. You'll increase your chances of getting called greatly!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Rookie

North Idaho, USA
Professional substitute teacher
In my district, there are three possible sources for assignments: The sub scheduler; individual teachers (who can hire their own subs from the district list); and in two schools, secretaries who do all the sub scheduling for their school (to the annoyance of the sub scheduler).

I put out flyers in my favorite schools (individually delivered to the teachers' boxes). When I sub in a classroom that is good to work in, I make sure to note in my report to the teacher that I enjoyed their classes and would love to come back, and I leave my contact information. I also made sure the two secretaries who schedule knew me (and my capabilities and preferences) well.

I teach every day. Days off are rare enough that sometimes I have to take one just to catch up on household management stuff.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
There are one or two dry seasons during the school year, especially in the weeks before standardized testing. You'll more than make up for it when flu season hits, provided you wash your hands constantly and stay healthy!
Old 08-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Rookie

Arkansas
Substitute Teacher
Subbing days

Quote:
Originally Posted by deer park View Post
How many days in a week did you work as a substitute teacher? Is it pretty busy like all five days or only twice a week? Lets say you had no other obligation like another job or school and you just wanted to sub / work as much as you can. In that case, can you work all five days or its not possible? Thanks for all the replies beforehand.

I have found this website a great place to share and communicate various different issues.
As I've been saying, I am very fortunate. I have started subbing from the first day and have 3 out of 5 booked for next week. The teachers here get lots of opprotunities to learn different things through out the year and just in a few weeks my reputation was formed, and now the teachers are already asking for days in November, and such. I have just 4 schools listed for me to work at, and one was an all year school and I was still getting calls in the summer, but was unable to work due to my child care needs at home. Last spring (jan - to the end of the year) I worked almost every school day but 2 or 3 a month. But this may also have something with the change in teacher contracts, the school district quit paying for un-used time off, so that would be lost money, so I got a lot of days.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
I was a sub for four districts. One of them kept me pretty busy and I worked on average 4 days a week. I didn't sub much in one of the districts (only three or four times). So sign up for at least two districts. That will help.

Tags
substitute, teachers, work