A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 08-14-2008, 06:41 AM
Rookie

Maryland
How do you deal with absent/makeup work in your classroom

I'm looking for some ideas! My current system is to post the daily activities (drill, activities, papers collected, homework) on Edline, and I have a spot in my room for extra handouts. I've found that my students are lax in turning in whatever papers need to be turned in. What's your procedure for dealing with absent students and their work?

Old 08-14-2008, 07:34 AM
Comrade

Ohio
Science
I am trying this approach: I am assigning weekly homework on Monday (due Thursday) and posting it online. Homework is due when I ask for it at the beginning of class. Turn it in after that and it is late (I staple papers together if I can, so I know who tried to slip a late paper in the pile). Physics students will get chapter homework due on chapter review day. If a student is absent and there is a worksheet that day, I will put their name and the date on a copy and place it in their class' absent folder. It will be their responsibility to check it and get their paper. Excused absences will get 2 days per absent day to complete to be considered on time, unexcused will only get 1 day. Anything over 1 week late I will not accept, especially if I have returned the graded assignment to others in class.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Groupie

Pennsylvania
I keep a clipboard for each class. When someone is absent and misses a quiz or test, I put it on the clipboard. I would always forget to ask them for their HW though. this year I have made a form that has a check list of what we covered for the day like notes taken, HW collected, pages read, etc. I think I'll always have some student willing to collect the day's paperwork. Then I put it in the class folder which is where I put graded papers ready to be handed back. Not sure if I explained that right.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Connoisseur

California
Social Studies
I spend pretty much all of back to school night explaining that make up work is not my responsibility - it is up to the student to ask.

Now, that said, once per grading period period I'll have a day where I post all missing work and make up options for them. Everything turned in then gets a late penalty regardless of why it was missed.

This has saved me a ton of headaches. I hated looking back through my attendance to see who had missed (if I took attendance at all...).
Old 08-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Comrade

Tennessee
Jr and Sr High English & then some
A teacher at my school really helped me with this. She gave me an attendance form with two columns on it. In the first I (or a student) writes the names of the absent students then on the back we put what we did that day including any handouts needed with the missing student's name on them. Students must check the folder and sign in the second column showing they picked up their work. Then they have the number of days they missed plus one to make up any work.

I really like this system. It seems to be working for me.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Companion

High School Teacher
I get swamped with late work if I allow it to be turned in too long past the deadline. I have a file folder in my room (next to the turn in basket), where I put folders labeled M-F. I have a set for each prep I teach. I put extra copies of homework in the folders. Each week I replace the homework from the week prior. If the homework is not in the folders any longer, it's not accepted for late. All late work is worth 50%, but they do have 1 free late per quarter (worth 100% late). I keep track of that right in our electronic gradebook. Additionally, this year I am going to have a logbook for each class with daily forms in them. The form will have a place to record what was done for the day (notes taken, video watched, homework assigned, labs done etc.). I haven't made the form yet, but it will be a fill-in form. I will have students complete the log for credit. Everyone will have to complete the log several times throughout the year. I will post the names of the kids to complete the log on the board that day. They will receive credit if it is complete, neat and correct. If a student is absent, they can check the log to get the work, and check the file to get copies of the homework.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Aficionado

MA, USA
Prinicpal 7-12 Private School & SS
I have a file bin with folders labeled 1-31 and then last month. I keep absent work in here for the current month as well as the past month. A student helper fills out a "What you missed sheet" noting what we did in class, what the student needs to do, due dates, etc. and a copy all the handouts distributed that day. If the student misses a quiz/test they have to consult my after school sign up clipboard and sign up for the makeup within a week of their absence. (They also use this for any other reason they need to stay after). I also keep a copy of all course handouts and what we did in class each day on my website.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Comrade

High School English
I have a "While you were out" notebook that stays in the front of the room. My student aide fills in the agenda daily. When a student is absent, they look at the notebook to see what we did and then see their assigned "study buddy" for notes/clarification.
I don't distribute too many handouts, but when I do, I usually write each absent student's name on the top and then give it to them after they've gone to the notebook and study buddy.
As far as collecting makeup work, I also have a clipboard for each class with a roster and all checked assignments on it. They have three days to make up the work, and I just update my clipboard.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Multitudinous

The late work policy in my district is that students have 3 days to make up any assignments missed due to absence. I allow students longer if they approach me and make special arrangements.

I very rarely allow late work to be turned in if a student wasn't absent--like if they just "forgot" that it was due or something. There are certainly special circumstances where I'll allow it, but my general rule is no late work. I don't care to mess around with taking off percentages based on the number of days late it was....That's far too much work for me. I also think that it is an unfair and inaccurate way to determine a student's overall grade. We assign grades based on how well a student is able to demonstrate mastery of a particular topic, not on their timeliness. At least that's my opinion.

I post assignments on our class website, along with specific instructions about how and when to access and turn in those assignments. It's up to the individual students to check the site, find their missing work, complete it in a timely manner, and turn it in. I am not the homework police.

Having said all that, most students rarely complete missing work, even when I do take a more proactive approach. For this reason, the bulk of student grades in my gradebook are based on student assessments and cumulative projects, rather than on individual, practice-type assignments.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Fanatic

Pennsylvania
High School Teacher
I am making up a form for absent work for the day. It will include date, names, and space to write the missing work. Then I am going to have a space for students to sign when they get the work. That way I have a document of who got their work and exactly what it is I told them to do in case there are any problems. I am careful to include other message too, like if I changed a paper due date or something.

I will keep all this in a binder.

Tags
absent or makeup, classroom, deal, work