A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 08-12-2008, 06:23 AM
Rookie

MI
Kindergarten Teacher
I am currently going through training for Conscious Discipline by Dr. Becky Bailey. It is WONDERFUL. It uses brain research to help you understand why you react and how kids react to situations. She does not believe that you need any kind of behavior board because it just tears a child down rather that build them up. I have used the traffic light in the past and I can see how this would happen because the other kids go home and tell their parents, "Oh Johnny was at Red again today." I am going to try to not use it this year, we will see how it will go. Dr. Bailey teaches deep breathing techniques for the kids to use instead and has a safe place for kids to go (I guess it is similar to a time out but it is not a punishment to go there, they chose to go there). The safe place has comfy cushions, fidgit toys, doodling pad, picture album with pictures of the students families, and posters of the breathing techniques. I am probably babbling now, check out her website www.consciousdiscipline.com

Old 08-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Rookie

Texas
1st Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by little317 View Post
Here are my rules:
Helping Hands
Looking Eyes
Listening Ears
Quiet Voices
Walking Feet

I have a rocket ship behavior chart and they have to get to the moon. Each day of good behavior means they move up one level of the ship. When a student reaches the moon he or she can go to the treasure box. Some kids only take a week, others....it takes longer. I don't like giving prizes too often and for trivial things. They know they have to work really hard.

Here is a picture. Scroll to the right to see the moon.

Very cool..especially since I do a "star theme" in my room. Silly question...how do you movethe little guys, do you staple them on each day? I may do them on clips of velcro. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Aficionado

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
In my pre-k student teaching placement they used conscious discipline. I liked it for some reasons, but not others. For example, one boy had very poor impulse control. He would never use safe space (NONE of the kids did), so the teacher eventually made him go there just so he could be taught that it was there and what it was used for. It worked amazingly well for him. The only problem was that none of the kids ever used safe space. I never saw one child choose to go there, even though it was introduced and modeled almost weekly.

Also, there was no discipline for children who hit, kicked, spit, name called, etc. It was just a conversation about why they did it, what they could have done differently, etc. I think that behavior problems should be talked through, but there should also be consequences. I understand the idea of embarrassment over stop and go lights, but part of me thinks that we baby children too much. It killed me to see kids just kick and hit and apologize and not be disciplined. They should learn how to work through difficult situations, but they also need to learn that there are consequences for inappropriate behavior.

I haven't read the book, though, so maybe I have a lot to learn!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Novice

USA
Preschool Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingPigeon View Post
I think that behavior problems should be talked through, but there should also be consequences. I understand the idea of embarrassment over stop and go lights, but part of me thinks that we baby children too much. It killed me to see kids just kick and hit and apologize and not be disciplined. They should learn how to work through difficult situations, but they also need to learn that there are consequences for inappropriate behavior.

I haven't read the book, though, so maybe I have a lot to learn!
I tend to agree with you, although I too have not read the book. I feel like some behaviors need to be handled with a consequence and of course an explaination as well. Maybe I am a little "old school" in my thinking (even though I am a fairly new teacher), but I feel like consequences such as time out get a bad rap these days and yet it can be effective and meaningful for a child. I am a private preschool, but I know the local Elementary doesn't tolerate hitting ect... at all.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Aficionado

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs27 View Post
I tend to agree with you, although I too have not read the book. I feel like some behaviors need to be handled with a consequence and of course an explaination as well. Maybe I am a little "old school" in my thinking (even though I am a fairly new teacher), but I feel like consequences such as time out get a bad rap these days and yet it can be effective and meaningful for a child. I am a private preschool, but I know the local Elementary doesn't tolerate hitting ect... at all.

Yeah, I understand the whole embarrassment issue, but sometimes I think a child just needs to be removed from the situation in order to calm down and reflect (with guidance, of course). And for some children having to miss 5 minutes of free choice is something that will motivate them to learn and practice proper behavior. I know the motivation should be the desire to treat others well, but they have to learn the behavior somehow, and they'll eventually realize that positive behavior is much more pleasant for everyone.

I'm just rambling a lot now!
Old 08-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Groupie

Florida
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinjess82 View Post
Very cool..especially since I do a "star theme" in my room. Silly question...how do you movethe little guys, do you staple them on each day? I may do them on clips of velcro. Thanks.
I took this picture before I put velcro on. I put velcro on the rocket and little velcro dots on the astronauts.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Companion

Maine
Kindergarten Teacher
Oooo, I haven't read that book, but I've heard of it. I hope to read it soon.

I follow the Responsive Classroom Approach. I spend the first week talking about the students' hopes and dreams for kindergarten. Then the next week we make a list of rules together (the process takes a few days- brainstorming and organizing the list into a few rules). We don't make the rules right away beacsue i want them to think about the great things we've done in the first two weeks and what we had to do (be kind, take care of materials, keep hands and feet to ourselves...) to have a good time and learn.

The rules are always framed in a positive way (keep hands and feet to ourselves, instead of no hitting).

I also have the students sign their names to the bottom. Then I always come back to the rules throughout the year. "Sally, I see you are following our take care of materials rule." So I am always reinforcing the good behavior.

I use a time out space, but I call it the "take a break" chair. We practice early on, that it's not for punishment, that it is a place to regain control. I teach the students deep breathing and other ways to calm down, so they know what to do when they go there. We all take turns sitting in the time out chair the first few days after it's introduced.

I don't do a stop light or other system, because I believe that the consequence should be related. And like someone else stated, it is embarassing and takes away children's dignity.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Rookie

MI
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissB View Post
Oooo, I haven't read that book, but I've heard of it. I hope to read it soon.

I follow the Responsive Classroom Approach. I spend the first week talking about the students' hopes and dreams for kindergarten. Then the next week we make a list of rules together (the process takes a few days- brainstorming and organizing the list into a few rules). We don't make the rules right away beacsue i want them to think about the great things we've done in the first two weeks and what we had to do (be kind, take care of materials, keep hands and feet to ourselves...) to have a good time and learn.

The rules are always framed in a positive way (keep hands and feet to ourselves, instead of no hitting).

I also have the students sign their names to the bottom. Then I always come back to the rules throughout the year. "Sally, I see you are following our take care of materials rule." So I am always reinforcing the good behavior.

I use a time out space, but I call it the "take a break" chair. We practice early on, that it's not for punishment, that it is a place to regain control. I teach the students deep breathing and other ways to calm down, so they know what to do when they go there. We all take turns sitting in the time out chair the first few days after it's introduced.

I don't do a stop light or other system, because I believe that the consequence should be related. And like someone else stated, it is embarassing and takes away children's dignity.
That sounds very similar to Conscious Disipline
Old 08-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Newcomer

Massachusetts, USA
Kindergarten Teacher
This is my first-year kindergarten teaching for students within autism spectrum. Although I've been teaching for a while as a resource room teacher/sped., this is my first year being a classroom teacher. To manage behavior, I'm looking for individual behavior charts that could be simple & easy to speak to kids with ASD what rules are expected, and to tell them how they did on a daily basis. Any K-teacher for kids with autism, please share your daily behavior management.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Groupie

Florida
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by nv1964 View Post
This is my first-year kindergarten teaching for students within autism spectrum. Although I've been teaching for a while as a resource room teacher/sped., this is my first year being a classroom teacher. To manage behavior, I'm looking for individual behavior charts that could be simple & easy to speak to kids with ASD what rules are expected, and to tell them how they did on a daily basis. Any K-teacher for kids with autism, please share your daily behavior management.
There is a program called Board Maker that you can use to set up personal schedules for children, make signs that portray the rules, etc. Awesome program! I'm not special ed, but I had a student last year who needed something like this to help him follow directions, know what was coming next.

Tags
discipline, rules