A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 08-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Rookie

New Jersey
Kindergarten Teacher
How to teach colors in kindergarten

Hello, this is my first full year teaching kindergarten. I am creating an outline for the year and I am having trouble determining how to teach colors. I was thinking about starting with orange in October. Would you spend a week? I mean for a week I would practice poetry at circle time related to orange and focus crafts on orange. Now, would you introduce another color the following week? or take a week off? What color next, yellow? Can someone please give me some feedback......

Old 08-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
I introduce red the first week of school and then 2 colors a week until we learn them all. I have color songs similar to those found on Frogstreet Press on posters. I introduce the color, sing the song several times (with the kids joining in) and we look for things that are that color around the room. We have an art activity related to the color that day or the next. On day 2 of the color we review the song a few times and practice spelling it (spelling is in the song) and make a list of things that are/can be the color. In the science center while we are learning colors there is a poster that says, for example, Red / Not Red at the top with a line. If a child is in that center they look through magazines/grocery ads and cut out at least 3 things that belong in each group. We also add the color word to the word wall. Each day we review all of the previous color songs and add the new one as needed. Anytime we have downtime in the hall we whisper-sing the color songs. I also have song/poetry folders and I have a copy of all the songs in the folder so they can do various activities with them at school and when they take them home.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Novice

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
I also start teaching colors the few weeks of K. The kids seem to pick it up quickly (1/2 already know their colors before they begin K). We sing color songs, sort by colors, play I Spy using our colors, etc.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Rookie

New Jersey
Kindergarten Teacher
Ok, that helps a lot. My school does the Gingerbread theme for the first week back to school-its very cute. So I'm thinking the second week I can start with red which makes more sense since the theme is apples. I really dont have an idea how long all the color activites and plans will last, 2 days or a week. I guess I really need to write down my plans....
Thank you for your feedback!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Connoisseur

Houston, Texas
Self-Contained K-4 EBD
I found this idea off Dr. Jean's website the other day and I absolutely love love love it! I can't wait to use it with my pre-kinders! It's a gummy bear song using different colored gummy bears - great for learning colors and as well as number concepts! Here's the link:

http://www.drjean.org/html/monthly_a...July/pg06.html
Old 08-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Aficionado

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
I didn't really even think kindergarteners needed to be taught colors. I have them up in my room, though, so they can look to see how to spell the words.

I have a lot to learn!
Old 08-07-2008, 12:57 AM
Habitué

Northwest, USA
Primary Elementary Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmakate218 View Post
I found this idea off Dr. Jean's website the other day and I absolutely love love love it! I can't wait to use it with my pre-kinders! It's a gummy bear song using different colored gummy bears - great for learning colors and as well as number concepts! Here's the link:

http://www.drjean.org/html/monthly_a...July/pg06.html
ILOVEthegummy bears song/activity....It is so great b/c my first shape of the year is circle(pennies), and my first theme is bears!
Old 08-07-2008, 04:44 AM
Comrade

Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingPigeon View Post
I didn't really even think kindergarteners needed to be taught colors. I have them up in my room, though, so they can look to see how to spell the words.

I have a lot to learn!
I have never formally taught colors. In 12 years of teaching (low income kids) I probably have had less than 5 kids that didn't know colors. Some kids will mix up a few especially black/brown and blue/purple, but overall they come in knowing colors. Those that don't know colors seem to pick up on them just by doing other class activities. I also have them posted so that they can spell the colors.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:49 AM
Connoisseur

Connecticut
Kindergarten Teacher
I don't "formally" teach colors, but we do sing color songs and do activities with certain colors for the first few weeks of school...I usually start with red the first day of school. I also have a little paper where they trace the word and everything on the paper is colored in red...I usually just do one color a day since most of the kids already know them!
Old 08-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Novice

NJ
Kindergarten Teacher
Like some of the others have said, we also do not formally teach the actual colors. Throughout the year they are classifying objects by color all the time, we do rainbow letters when they are learning to form the letters of the alphabet, their tables and groups are color coded, and they are surrounded by colors. What we do is we teach the color words around the time of rainbows/st. pattys etc. We find this to be successful because most if not all recognize the colors before they come to K, once they are developmentally ready, we teach them how to spell them and by the end of the year they are using the color words in their writing. One of their favorite things is an activity where we sing Rainbow of Colors (Greg and Steve I believe) and at first they point to objects of the color. Then we move on to color word cards and they have to hold up the correct color word. Its a lot of fun.

Tags
colors, kindergarten, teach