A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Early Childhood Education Archives

Old 08-21-2004, 09:06 AM
Pre-K Lea

Question The "Letter People"

I am origianlly a preschool teacher, but this year am moving up to Pre-K. We are going to be using the "Letter People" progam in my classroom. I recieved all the supplies in my classroom on Friay and looked through them, but really have no idea where to even start! What are your opinions on them? And how do you start up the program? I know this sounds confusing! I'm sorry!! Thanks for your help!

~Lea

Old 08-21-2004, 09:08 AM
Pre-K Lea

You can tell I am new here too, I ont evn know how all that happened!
Old 08-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Comrade

There should be an instruction booklet that gives some order to the lessons. My stuff is all at school, so I can't tell you exactly it is called. The first few weeks don't even start working on individual letters. When you do start on letters, it is set up to start on the letter "M".

Each letter has a story, a song, ideas. I don't even try to use it all. I use the things I feel most comfortable with. I try to do 2 letters a week so I can be completely through the alphabet by Winter break. Then second semester I go through the alphabet again.

Good luck! Brenda
Old 09-15-2004, 05:53 PM
kteach

letter people

My daughter was in pre k last year and the letter people were part of ther literacy program. The songs aren't that great and the blow up dolls disturbed her greatly. Towards the end of the year though she adjusted to them. Always expect the unexpected.
I once taught the itsy bitsy spider and made spiders out of pipe cleaners and yarn and did not realize I had and aracnophobic in the class. SURPRISE SURPRISE!!!!
Old 09-16-2004, 08:02 AM
Comrade

Silly question-what's the difference between preschool and pre-k?
Old 09-16-2004, 09:11 AM
NJ VS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seich30
Silly question-what's the difference between preschool and pre-k?
I'd guess preschool involves those kids who are more than one year away from KDG< while preK means they will be in K the following year
Old 09-20-2004, 07:40 PM
Rookie

North Carolina
Smile Letter People

I am a Pre-K Teacher and I love the Letter People!! My children are facinated by them and can't wait to meet the next letter person. Letter People are what you make of them. I make it really fun and my children learn! I don't have the blow up's, I copied the pictures of the letter people and colored them myself. Usually on the first day, I introduce a letter person and let the children color the picture of the letter person, the next day, we will work on the sound, the next 2 days the children bring in an item that starts with the letter and we put it into Mr. T's bag or whatever letter you are on. We also prove each item that goes into the bag. The way we do that, is we say the letter sound 2 times and then the word (ex. Ah, Ah, Apple) and do the "chant" 3 times and then put the item in the bag. The last day of the week, we think of words that start with that letter and write the letter (although my kids are not ready for that yet--we are working on pre-writing strokes during this time). I do 1 letter per week to have an opportunity for lots of repetition!! Hope this helps!!
Old 09-25-2004, 08:54 PM
tb1

Exclamation letter people please!

I too NEED the Letter People order in which they are taught! Even the name of the manual it is in would be helpful! Thanks for your assistance!

Tags
letter people