A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > General Education Archives

Old 08-20-2004, 12:12 AM
Comrade

North Dakota
Kindergarten
Cinder Block Walls?

Hi,

I have just moved to a new center and my new classroom is all cinderblock/brick type walls. How can I hang anything up? The teacher last year used masking tape, but she said everything fell down once a week. This would make me crazy. I would love any creative ideas.

Thank you
Becky

Old 08-20-2004, 04:29 AM
Rookie

South Carolina, USA
I also have cinder block for walls. I have found that Mounting Tape works great. It will peel off and leave the paint. Have a wonderful year!!!
Old 08-20-2004, 04:57 AM
Companion

NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyeduk8er
Hi,

I have just moved to a new center and my new classroom is all cinderblock/brick type walls. How can I hang anything up? The teacher last year used masking tape, but she said everything fell down once a week. This would make me crazy. I would love any creative ideas.

Thank you
Becky

I have the same problem! I have everything stuck up with masking tape and every morning this week I have gone in to find at least one poster on the floor. I have started using the white plastic "clips" that have the wax on the back (the name slips my mind right now, I will look at the package at school and post back with it tonight). As long as I use one in each corner (4 for each poster at least) the posters will stay up.

I tried the mounting tape, but it will not come off of the posters when you take them down. We have to take everything off our walls at the end of the year and store them in a cabinet/drawer. When I came back this year, a lot of my posters wouldn't "unstick" from one another due to the mounting tape lwft on the back.
If anyone has any other ideas please post them. All help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:13 AM
Novice

Vermont
6th Grade Teacher
I end up using a combination of masking tape and "EZ up Clips" (the white clips with the wax on the back. This seems to work really well. The main support comes from the clips and the tape stops the posters from sliding around or falling if a clip does fall down or disappear (sometimes that happens in the hallway).
Old 08-20-2004, 08:39 AM
Aficionado

Michigan
I used a combination of the foam tabs, 3m makes them I think, masking tape, blue tacky, and prayers. When I get really desperate, I use string & anchor it to the drop ceiling!
Old 08-20-2004, 11:53 AM
Devotee

Florida
The only thing we are allowed to use on our cinderblock walls (and doors, and windows, and cabinets, etc, etc, etc) is sticky tac. It is like gold in our school.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:01 PM
Aficionado

Michigan
Does the sticky tac work? I know that I've tried it & some holds better then other. For me the blue works the best.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:36 PM
Devotee

Florida
I find that to be true also. Only the blue kind seems to work. I have tried the white and yellow but they just don't seem to hold to well.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Fanatic

Broward County Florida
what about duct tape!! comes in lots of great colors!!
Old 08-20-2004, 03:42 PM
Novice

Tennessee
I use 3M hooks. I punch a hole in whatever I am hanging. It is easy to change things out. ALso, we have to take EVERYTHING down for "The Test", so I can just slip them off the hook. It takes a little extra time to put up the first time, but in teh long run, it makes everything a snap. They are super strong. I had a picture hanging on one for 2 years (on the smallest size hook)! If you ever need to remove them, just pull the strip, and they come right off. No one would ever be able to tell they were there!

They are fantastic!

Tags
block, cinder, walls