A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 07-31-2008, 09:19 PM
Comrade

She works hard for her money!
Rewards and Consquences for Kindergarten

What rewards and consequences have you found to work well for kindergarteners?

Also, do you send home daily behavior sheets with a smiley face, etc.?

What type of behavior system do you use?

Old 08-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Habitué

Minnesota
Kindergarten Teacher
I do a daily communication sheet which stays in their folder. I put a new one in each Monday and pull out the old one on a Monday. The sheet is broken into 5 sections-one for each day. I will write how the day has gone-sometimes just a smiley face, and the parents can also write notes on there. I have the parent initial it each day and then keep it for the student files for instant documentation!! It does come in handy for child study meetings, etc...

My kids love anything for rewards-even being a special helper to take a message somewhere, light switch operator (this one is a BIG reward in my room ) to candy, stickers, prizes, extra computer time, etc...
Consequences-depends on the child. Some could care less about sitting in time out. So I usually find something they care about-being last in line for lunch, only being able to play on the blacktop for recess, losing the right to walk to library by themselves, etc. It really depends on the offense and what will make a difference to the child.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Groupie

Florida
Kindergarten Teacher
I used to do a daily behavior chart, but found it was a waste of time for me and after a while it didn't matter to the parents.

Rewards: Good notes home, stickers, verbal praise, extra station time, be my helper, check out a book to take home, treasure box, skittle (one!!), wear my lanyard (for walking in line nicely), visit another teacher for a sticker or free time.

Consequences: It depends on the student and the behavior. It may be a time out from circle time, time out from station time, changes seats, etc. I never take away the whole recess! I may delay them a few minutes, but I believe they need that time to play and move. I also like to give alternative choices if a student cannot handle a particular activity we are doing as a class.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Companion

Northern Virginia
1st Grade Teacher
One thing my CT used when I student taught was "smelly stickers." She would buy the scented lip balms (funky ones like strawberry melon, etc) and if someone did something good, she would rub a bit of it on their hand. They thought it was really cool. It's a cheap idea, too
Old 08-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Habitué

Florida
Primary Elementary Teacher
I really like the smelly idea...thx!
Old 08-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Connoisseur

Houston, Texas
Self-Contained K-4 EBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdith4him View Post
One thing my CT used when I student taught was "smelly stickers." She would buy the scented lip balms (funky ones like strawberry melon, etc) and if someone did something good, she would rub a bit of it on their hand. They thought it was really cool. It's a cheap idea, too
Thank you for this awesome idea! I actually was just "raiding" Dr. Jean's free activities and found this idea on her website! I'm going to make sure to use this as an incentive! Dollar Tree, here I come!

Tags
consquences, kindergarten, rewards