A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 07-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Comrade

She works hard for her money!
What does a typical first day in kindergarten look like?

I've only seen a first day in third grade, so I'm wondering what to expect from 4 & 5 year olds on the first day. I'm sure there will be a crier and probably a really shy one. If someone could give a rundown of what one might expect on that first day, it might give me a picture to anticipate. Thanks!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Comrade

Tampa, Florida
CHAOS! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
Old 07-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Comrade

Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
CHAOS! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
I hate to say it, but I agree! The first few days are stressful. I find it difficult because less than 3 months ago I had a room full of kids that could read, do a little adding/subtraction, could write sentences etc... Now 3 months later I have kids that can't even find their name. All day long you will answer the same 3 questions - "When is lunch?" "When is playtime?" and "When are we going home?" Thats all the kids really care about the first day. You will repeat everything over and over again. Everything is so new to the kids that even though you explain what you are going to do they really aren't listening. I try to keep my activities very simple the first few days. Luckily it does get better.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Devotee

Somewhere in the South
k-5th and special ed sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2sands View Post
I've only seen a first day in third grade, so I'm wondering what to expect from 4 & 5 year olds on the first day. I'm sure there will be a crier and probably a really shy one. If someone could give a rundown of what one might expect on that first day, it might give me a picture to anticipate. Thanks!
4 and 5 yr olds?! I have never seen any child as young as 4 starting kindergarten. I have only seen 5 and 6 yr olds. 4 yr olds should be in preschool in my opinion. In my area students can not start kindergarten unless they are at least 5.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Novice

North Carolina (Eastern)
1st Grade Teacher
Well, some of our Kinders are 4 when they start in August, but they must turn 5 by October 10. Next school year they must be 5 by some date in August.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Comrade

PA
Kindergarten Teacher
Having taught Kindergarten for what will be my 4th year this fall, it's not that bad. yes there is crying, yes there is a lot of upset children, BUT....onc they get into a routine, it gets pretty easy.. Feel free to PM me and I can answer any questions you may have.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Connoisseur

Connecticut
Kindergarten Teacher
The first day is crazy! Last year (my first year in kinder), I had many criers, 1 girl who was so scared that she puked strawberry milk all over, and many kids who would not let go of their parents! We let the parents walk the kids into the room the first day, show them where to put their coats/backpacks, and I had a nametag at each seat with a little play-dough...the parents helped the kids find their names (or I did if there was no parent there), and they played while things got settled. I didn't eat lunch the first day because I was busy figuring out who was on what bus and making name-tags for the kids to wear home and doing errand-y things like that. We read "The Kissing Hand" and made handprints, we practiced writing out name and drew a picture of ourselves (which I kept and had them do the same thing at the end of the year to see how it changed). Much of the day was spent on procedures...how to walk in line, how to get our lunch, where to put our papers, how to sit on the carpet, etc., etc. It is slow going at the beginning, but once a routine is established, you'll be fine!! And BTW, we have 4 & 5 year olds...our kids have to be 5 by December 31st...and we heard this year that the super. is letting a child who will not be 5 until February in...they are getting younger and younger!! Good luck!
Old 07-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Comrade

PA
Kindergarten Teacher
We also take children that are 4 years, 7 months, which typically puts their 5th birthday in February, so I will have some 4 year olds as well this year...and to top it off, it's my biggest class ever..25 kids..
Old 07-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Rookie

First day in K

I teach a transition program (which means smaller half-day classes until January and then the classes combine and we move to full day) so I only have 10 on the first day of school in each a.m. and p.m.
The day before the first day of school we have "Kindergarten Visitation Day" where the parents ride the bus with their kids and come in for 20 minutes to get to know the bus route, drop off their supplies and meet their teacher. So I rarely have criers on the first day because they've already met me and know where their room is!
We unpack together the first day (week actually) so they can learn the routines, I explain lunch count, we do calendar, the alphabet chant, a read aloud, I have them draw a picture of themselves on the first day of school; we have snack, go on the playground and discuss the rules! If time permits, we also do a tour of the classroom and practice a fire drill (because we usually have one within the first few days of school). I leave an extra few minutes to get them into their bus lines and make sure they get home on the right bus #.
Hope this helps! I love summer vacation, but writing this is making me excited about the first day of school again!
Old 07-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Rookie

Ontario, Canada
Primary Elementary Teacher
Wow, I'm jealous! Our children have to be 4 by December which means we have many children beginning kindergarten at 3 years! (I'm in Ontario, Canada)

I agree that the first day will be chaos and I find the most challenging time is the first part of the day. Once the children have put their coats & backpacks away, I usually have bins of books and stuffed animals on the carpet. They choose a stuffed 'buddy' and 'read' books to them. I think it's comforting for the children & allows me time to focus on the children who are having difficulty settling.

Tags
day, kindergarten, typical