A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Fifth Grade

Old 07-27-2008, 07:53 AM
Novice

Wisconsin
5th Grade Teacher
Question What do you use for a classroom library check out system?

My current check in and check out system on a sheet of paper is not working. I would love to hear some ideas from other 5th grade teachers on how to keep better track of your classroom library books and make sure they don't disappear, like mine have over the past.
Thanks!

Old 07-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Cohort

Arizona
5th Grade Teacher
I use a index card box that has tabbed dividers with each students number on them. If student #5 wants to check out a book, their index card is checked to make sure they don't already have a book checked out. If they do, they must show it to the Class Librarian and he/she crosses it off. Once they've chosen a book, the Class Librarian writers it down on their card and files it back under their number. I've been checking books out this way for the past three years and have lost maybe a handful of books, which have always been replaced with money to buy a new book or the student brings in a book to replace it.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:42 PM
Companion

Arizona
5th Grade Teacher
I may try the index card system this year. Only I don't assign numbers to my students. We have too many students who move in and out of our classes because we ability group and move students around more. I did not have a system last year and lost about 30 books!
Old 07-31-2008, 12:28 AM
Companion

Oregon
I've done the index card system the last two years. It works pretty well. My only issue was kids remembering to take the card out of the box and put it back in the book. This year I may try making a poster with library pockets for each kid. When they check out a book, they have to put it in their pocket. This will be bigger and hopefully remind them to put the card away.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:32 PM
Guru

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalilys View Post
I use a index card box that has tabbed dividers with each students number on them. If student #5 wants to check out a book, their index card is checked to make sure they don't already have a book checked out. If they do, they must show it to the Class Librarian and he/she crosses it off. Once they've chosen a book, the Class Librarian writers it down on their card and files it back under their number. I've been checking books out this way for the past three years and have lost maybe a handful of books, which have always been replaced with money to buy a new book or the student brings in a book to replace it.
How much time does this take your class librarian? I asked this question months ago and decided to try your system. But, I was thinking the other day about either doing it myself or assigning a student.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:19 PM
Cohort

Arizona
5th Grade Teacher
Maybe 15-20 minutes to allow the entire class (32 students) to go through the library. They would normally do it during SSR so it wasn't too big of a deal and the library would only be open once a week. If a student needs to exchange books, I would usually open it for them at recess or if they finished an assignment early.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Rookie

Delaware
1st Grade Teacher
Smile

I am going to try something new this year. I had a lot of books taken from my classroom. I created a poster with a library pocket for each student. In an index box each student will have an index card with their name on it. When they check out a book they are to write the title on the index card and put it into their library pocket. At the end of the day the student who has the "librarian" job with take out all of the cards and ask the students to return the book and initial the card. If the students want to take the book home to read it the card comes to me. They can get their card back from me when they return the checked out book. They will write the title of the book on their card even if they are just reading it during SSR. I hope this works...just trying it this year.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Comrade

OH
4th Grade Teacher
This is VERY time consuming, but I glued pockets on the inside of all my books with an index card that had the title, author, and AR level printed on it. When a student wants to check the book out, they take out the card, put their name on it, then place it in the box. It is pretty much the "old-fashioned" library system before computers! I also keep a list of my books on librarything.com. It's free up to 200 books.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Companion

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserteacher View Post
This is VERY time consuming, but I glued pockets on the inside of all my books with an index card that had the title, author, and AR level printed on it. When a student wants to check the book out, they take out the card, put their name on it, then place it in the box. It is pretty much the "old-fashioned" library system before computers! I also keep a list of my books on librarything.com. It's free up to 200 books.
I trained my students to do this for me. When they want to check out a book that doesn't have a pocket and card, they go and get them and write the info on it. (We don't do AR). If they don't have neat enough handwriting, they know to go get a friend who does to do it for them. It saved me a lot of time!
Old 08-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Comrade

OH
4th Grade Teacher
Good idea, snowdaisy, for when I get new books in. I spent this summer putting pockets and cards in all my books. But, I'm a book-addict, so I'm sure I will be getting new ones in throughout the year!

Tags
check, classroom, library, system