A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 07-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Comrade

Mississippi
Pre-K teacher
Help with letter to parents

Okay - I have had to make some changes (last minute) to my teaching staff. I had a teacher quit and we have parent open house on August the 7th. I did not have a very good pool of applicants to choose from. I have hired a very enthusiastic young lady who I think will be great for the 2 year-old class. She just does not have any experience other than traditional babysitting. She has two years of college and is interested in trying to obtain an early childhood degree. The other 2 teachers I have on staff, I hired earlier this summer, so all staff are new to the parents. I sent a letter out earlier this summer introducing the two I had and telling about open house. I am having to move these two up an age group from 2 and 3 to 3 and 4 based on their expereince. I need to send another letter Monday to the parents about this so that they are not surprised at open house. How do I put the new teacher with no expereince in the best light to parents and how do I make this all look poisitve to parents so they are not in a panic at fruit basket turnover?

Old 07-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Groupie

New Hampshire
Dear Parents,

I am sending you this letter to inform you that due to circumstances beyond my control, I have had to make some last minute staff changes at the center. ___________ has made the decision not to return this year due to _______________. I am excited however to introduce _________________ who will be taking over the -______________class/program. __________ is new to our center but has several years of experience as a home childcare provider and is currently pursuing her degree in ECE at _______________. I realize that these last minute changes may be unsettling but i assure you that _________is excited to begin working with your children and I am confident that we can all work together to create a wonderful learning experience for the children. If you should have any questions or concerns, please feel free to speak to _________or myself and we will do our best to ease your mind. blah blah blah . .
Old 07-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Fanatic

Washington
Early Childhood Teacher
sarzacsmom has a great form letter skeleton for you. I think the important thing to remember is that if you put your best foot forward with your best "we can do it" attitude the parents will follow you. They will be just as happy as the children. But like the children, they will sense if you aren't having a good day. I tell my staff that if the children aren't having a good day it is probably that you aren't having one either.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Comrade

Mississippi
Pre-K teacher
I was thinking that myself. I don't know why (in my mind) I keep acting as though I have done something wrong. The circumstances were not good having to hire someone last minute, but I think I have handled everything the best way I could. I just have picky parents, and you are right I need to be confident in my staff and and positive about a good year to come. I have just had so much to deal with lately. I will feel much better when school gets underway.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Fanatic

Washington
Early Childhood Teacher
I wouldn't focus on the things that you have no control over and over explaining them to the parents. They may care, but they aren't the ones who have to solve the problems. My parents are very important to me (and I say this with my nicest teacher voice) but they are clients not directors. They are important, and constant turn over in clients is just a detremental to a program as constant staff turn over, but they have thier own lives and thier own problems. Tell them what your solution is and how it will be "so wonderful for them" and then move on as if it was meant to be forever and always. That confidence is just as contagious as the bad stuff.

Tags
letter, parents