A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 07-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Multitudinous

Ontario, Canada
Grade 7/8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBear View Post
Whats the Mrs.C Formula?
It's not a specific "formula", but I replied to your post explaining what I do.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Rookie

OK
I have combined 2nd and 3rd.

Definately combine where you can, the rest will fall into place.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Companion

High School Teacher
Oops sorry. I didn't put two and two together.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Companion

Maryland
2nd Grade Teacher
Basically, the Mrs. C formula (look at her post...it'll clear a lot of things up) is to combine as many things as you can and teach the whole class one topic, then follow up with groups on the complexity of the topic (place value to 1,000 for third grade, to 100,000 for fourth grade, etc.)

I will be teaching a 1st/2nd grade split this year, but will only be teaching the second grade curriculum. I'll be getting the high first graders and the low second graders. I'm sure I'll be looking at the first grade curriculum quite a bit, though to fill in any gaps.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Groupie

Ohio
Middle School Music Teacher
They did some combining of 7th & 8th graders in a Catholic school where I taught fourth. For science & soc stud. they alternated the 2 curriculums every other year. That way by the end of 8th they theoretically would have covered it all. That probably is not feasible with the testing the students take. There were also issues with students coming in or leaving the school.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Comrade

CO
Can you use a reading and writing workshop approach for your language arts block? I would think this would help you when you have such a wide range of abilities.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Comrade

TX
elementary
What you're able to do may depend on how your administration likes things. Mine really likes it when one grade is taught a lesson, then works independently while the other grade is taught their lesson. This didn't work out so well, though, recently; as a result, I was given pretty much free rein to change things around. I worked laboriously all last summer to match up topics in the curriculum wherever possible. With social studies, that was simply impossible, but for math, I made sure we were all studying place value/adding/multiplying etc. at the same time; same thing with grammar--if unit 3 was nouns for grade 2 and units 3 and 4 were nouns for grade 3, I'd stretch out grade 2 and condense grade 3 so that both grades would all be studying nouns at the same time. Science got totally out of order. I made sure to teach plants to both grades, no matter which chapter it was in either grade's book, etc. It was very time-consuming to match everything up like that, but it made it SO much easier. I could teach the whole class one lesson, and then the individual work they'd do would differ. I'd try to have both doing projects on the same day; one grade made models of different kinds of seeds out of clay, the other grade made models of monocot and dicot leaves. Etc. For language arts, I did a lot of group work. Group A would work on their vocabulary dictionaries; group B would read a novel together; group C would read the week's story with me, etc.

Good luck! It takes a lot of planning, but it can work out nicely.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Companion

High School Teacher
Bumping up this post from last year that I wrote. That job fell through when the school closed. Now a new school has been started and I am applying for this job.

The job is 3rd/4th combined. Teaching with Abeka in a private school. Any new tips would be great.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Companion

Missouri
3rd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter503 View Post
I will be teaching a 5/6 split grade this year. It is also my first year teaching full time. The school I'll be in is split because numbers are so low. I am hoping to do science and social studies as if it were a multi-age class...so I will teach the 6th grade curriculum this year, as last year's teacher did the 5th grade curriculum (I worked there as a sub last year). This way, I only have one thing to teach, and in the two years they will be in the class, both grades will still be covered.

I found out from my principal that another teacher would be taking one of my grades for math, so I will only have to worry about one. That basically leaves reading. I haven't decided how I'm going to work that...I'm hoping to do a lot of novels, like lit. circles. Course, this is just hypothesis, since I haven't gotten into my classroom yet or talked with the P or other staff.

I taught a multiage classroom for the last three years with third, fourth, and fifth graders. I had a full time teacher's aide in our classroom.

Basically, I taught math to each grade level separately. Reading we did guided reading and had small groups. I had individualized spelling where students each had spelling words on their ability level.

Social Studies I taught theme units (except fourth quarter, whn fourth grade had to learn Missouri history, Fifth grade had to learn the US Constitution). During fourth quarter, the third graders worked on government and map skills. Science was taught by theme units also.

Basically I looked at all of the objects for the grades I had in the areas of Science and Social Studies. (You'll be surprised how much they cover the same topics.) Pick several units to do this year and do the remaining ones the following ones this year. If you have any objectives that the older group will need to know for state testing then be sure to do those units this year so they don't miss out on them.

In the area of Language/Writing, we had a lot of writing with mini-lessons, journals, and grammar lessons, too.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Groupie

2nd Grade Teacher
So I guess districts are combining grades to save money? They couldn't do that here. I have 25 4th graders. I can see how it is possible with small grade numbers.

Tags
classroom, grades, teaching