A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 07-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Novice

New Jersey
6th Grade Teacher
"Me Bags"

My Back To School Night is one week before school starts. ON that evening we will have 1 hour with parents and 1 hour with our students. I would like to use a ME Bag to introduce myself (my team members too) and then I would like to assign a Me Bag to the students for the first day of school. I would like if you can share your directions, and ideas for the Me bags.

TIA

dbelmo

Old 07-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Cohort

Michigan
This is the note I send (I also have them find out about their name):

Me Bag
Due by Monday, September 10th

1. Put your name, number and date on the bag. You may decorate it if you wish.

I need to decide
What items go inside.
Something about me
For all my friends to see.
What I like, or do
That makes me special, too!

2. Please fill your attached bag with exactly FIVE (5) items that help to describe how special you are and what is important to you. Some examples: a photo of your family, a Beanie baby (if you collect them), a mini soccer ball (if you play soccer)… Items can tell more than one thing: a purple crayon could describe that you love to draw and purple is your favorite color. You will be sharing the items and the reason you put them in the bag.

All 5 items must fit in your bag. If you would like to include something, but it is too big to fit, you may include a photo or a drawing of the item.

Please do not put anything valuable or sentimental in the bag, as you may have to leave it at school for a few days.

All Me Bags will be shared in class as they are brought in, so practice sharing at home first.

SEE BACK FOR MORE.

Your Name

3. Along with your Me Bag, please be prepared to share a bit about your name (first, middle and/or last-your choice). You will need your parents to help you with this part. Try to find out why your name was chosen for you. Does it have a special meaning? Are you named after someone? How did your parents decide that your name was the perfect name for you? Do you know anything about your last name? Perhaps the country it came from, or the meaning.

You may want to write this information down, especially since you don’t know when it will be your turn to share. Keep the paper in your Me Bag.

Share as much information as possible.

My example**: My first name (Beth) was simply a name my parents liked and the “B” is for my great-grandfather Ben. My middle name (___) was my great-grandmother’s name. My last name (______) is Slavic.

**You may not have this much information, and that is fine. The internet can be very helpful.

I hope you enjoy learning about your name!

Due by Monday, September 10th.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:11 PM
Novice

New Jersey
6th Grade Teacher
WOW! Thank you that is perfect, can I steal I mean borrow your wonderful idea?

dbelmo
Old 07-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Rookie

Wow, Beth! What grade do you teach? I teach Third and was thinking about doing "Me" bags..I love your ideas!
Old 07-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Cohort

Michigan
I teach 2nd. I have done this with K, 3rd, and of course, 2nd. I didn't do the name part in K (didn't think of it then).

Yes, absolutly, that's why I posted it hope it works out for you.

I really enjoy learning about their names. Some are so unique.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:02 AM
Novice

New Jersey
6th Grade Teacher
Do you use brown lunch bags, or should I get the white ones.
dbelmo
Old 07-26-2008, 06:04 AM
Cohort

Michigan
I use brown-easier to find. I staple the directions to it. I tell them that they can (if they lose it) use another LUNCH size bag. Otherwise they try to use the grocery ones-LOL.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:29 AM
Cohort

Midwest
Computer Teacher
I am going to borrow your idea also Beth but alter it to use with PowerPoint. I think it will be a lot of fun and students can learn how to use the digital cameras, scanners, and how to insert pictures, etc... Fun! Thanks!
Old 07-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Cohort

Michigan
That will be really cool, sundrop!
Old 07-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Companion

East Coast
2nd Grade Teacher
Just a suggestion with the ME Bags: I did this when I student taught, and I did not supply the bags, instead I had the students use their own, and a lot of them used bags that told even more about them (a clothing bag from Justice: a favorite store, a bag with a sailboat on it b/c the student went sailing with his family etc.) So if you are not going to supply the bag you could mention that the bag could help them tell about themselves, or see if they pick that idea up on their own (You'd be surprised!)

Tags
me bags