A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Third Grade

Old 07-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Rookie

CA, USA
3rd Grade Teacher
Thumbs up Teaching Long Division

This is a wonderful way to teach long division. I tried it last year with my students and they really understood the process better using the family in this power point. If you don't have a way to show the kids the power point you could always print it out and display it on the bulletin board like I did. Either way you should check out this approach it was really helpful for me.

http://jc-schools.net/PPT/Long%20Division.ppt

Old 07-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Companion

Georgia
3rd Grade Teacher
Cute! This is exactly how I teach long division except I use "Dirty monkeys smell bad...Run!"
Old 07-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Cohort

4th Grade Teacher
Thank you for sharing, RedRose. I always hoped there was something like this "out there".
Old 07-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Rookie

KY
3rd Grade Teacher
Cute! I made a powerpoint and I use Does McDonalds Sell Cheese Burger Recipes. The Cheese is for Check-check to see if you need to bring down. When we are finished the end of the powerpoint says Long Division-I'm Loving it!!! lol
Old 08-04-2008, 01:26 AM
Rookie

California
3rd Grade Teacher
What great ideas these are for teaching long division! I am new to 3rd grade and love all these ideas!
Old 11-14-2010, 07:51 AM
Newcomer

Mississippi
4th Grade Teacher
I am a new teacher and have tried to figure out a way to teach long division. This is amazing. I am starting tomorrow and can't wait to show them this slideshow! Thank so much!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Rookie

CA
Upper Elementary Teacher
Don't forget the cousin

I always use the cousin in the "Long" family. He/she comes after the sister and before the brother. The cousin compares the difference to the divisor....if it's smaller, then the brother can bring down the next number.

A very important step that stumps a lot of kids.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Companion

TX
In my class we have the Division family to help us remember the steps. We have Dad, Mother, Sister, Brother, Rover, and Coco. My class added Coco to the family after the first week. The math strategy our school used required students to check their work, so we wanted to incorporate that. I told the class that the Division family had decided to adopt a cat and asked us to name it, but it needed to be a C name to remind us to check our work. After some suggestions and a class vote we named her Coco.

It was funny because if I saw students not checking their answers I would ask if they had spent any time with Coco. It turned into a running theme through the year about always checking our work by spending some quality time with Coco. We talked about how Coco would get jealous and upset if you forgot to spend time with her. It was adorable because it spread to the other classes in the grade level because my kids would talk about Coco the cat and how she might scratch you if you didn't spend time with her.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Rookie

Midwest
2nd Grade
Love these ideas! Thanks for sharing! I'm making the move up to 3rd grade this year and am looking for all and any resources I can find
Old 08-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Rookie

Richmond, BC, Canada
Math Tutor
Thank you for the post. We will start using this in our tuition center. Great idea!!

Tags
division, long, teaching