A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 07-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Connoisseur

New York
Reading Interventionist
GREEN, YELLOW, RED Behavior Management Ideas

Hello all,
I use the color system in my classroom so children can keep track of their behaviors and improve on their behaviors throughout the day. Anyway, I have that under wraps. I do need help though with coming up with a way to "reward" the students who stay on GREEN for the week. I found myself focusing too much on the kids who didn't stay on green all week by taking away Fun Friday, privileges, informing parents etc. But the kids who ALWAYS stayed on task and never broke a rule participated in activities but really didn't get the same attention as the "rule breakers". I would reward them sporadically but nothing consistent.
My question is: what is a good way to keep track of the students who stay on GREEN? For those who do this, do you use a chart and record the kids who stay on green on the chart?? What is the expectation?? Do you have kids earn a certain number of GREEN days before they get a reward?? I'm in need of a good management plan especially for those students who may need to actually seeother students participating in special activities because they earned it. (A little healthy peer pressure always works).

Old 07-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Habitué

Minnesota
Kindergarten Teacher
I do the same type of thing, but each kid has their own set of cards and a popsicle stick. If they keep their stick for the entire week I will reward with different things-such as pick a prize, first to line up, get to pick the story I read, etc... I try to keep changing the reward so they want to keep their sticks. By having the sticks I can see at a quick glance who has had a great week!
Old 07-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Companion

each child get a mini chart attached to their homework packet that has 5 traffic lights on it. Everyday I color in the circle that the child earned that day. On Friday the students turn their lights in. If they have all green for the week then they get rewarded.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Novice

California
Middle School Teacher
I don't use this system, but my partner does. She has individual mini charts for each student. Each day that a student stays on green, he/she receives a sticker on the chart. If the student stays on green all week, he/she gets to have lunch in the classroom one day the following week. She usually ends up with about 7-10 students each week having lunch with her.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:45 AM
Connoisseur

Washington
3rd Grade Teacher
I give stamps to each child who stays on green at the end of the day. When they get ten stamps, they can go to the treasure box.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Cohort

Michigan
I give a stamp or sticker on their weekly assignment sheet if they stay on green. 5 greens on Monday gets them some class money. 4 greens and 1 yellow gets them less money. If they had any reds, or more than one yellow-no money, unless it is a student who I had to individualize the behavior plan for b/c he/she just couldn't do it. They buy things occasionally with their money. Plus, if they flip, they have to pay me.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:00 AM
Devotee

Loving life and daring to live it!
Upper Elementary Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picabo View Post
I don't use this system, but my partner does. She has individual mini charts for each student. Each day that a student stays on green, he/she receives a sticker on the chart. If the student stays on green all week, he/she gets to have lunch in the classroom one day the following week. She usually ends up with about 7-10 students each week having lunch with her.
I do the same thing, but I put some type of die cut on my door each month. Each day that my student's don't flip a card, they get a sticker. Then at the end of the month, I see who flipped two or fewer times. I keep a behavior log, so I can document why the student flipped for any reason. This helps for my student that forget to put their sticker on the die cut, etc. Then those students come up four at time and each lunch and the classroom and watch cartoons. They love it!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Cohort

Middle School Teacher
I did this same thing for my student teaching with first graders. I kept a class list with their names on the left side and the date at the top. At the end of each day, I would put a check mark by those who had their stick on green (I used clothespins with their names on them). Every Friday for the last 15 minutes of school or so, I would stand in the front of the room and call each student up to the front to receive a prize from the prize jar for staying on green all week. As their name was called, the rest of the class would clap for them as they walked to the front of the room. It was really cool to see how proud they were! Some of the students who didn't stay on green all week would come up to me at the end of the day and say, "I'm really going to try and stay on green next week because I want everyone to clap for me."
Old 07-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Cohort

Florida
I can't keep track of the mini sheets and stuff so I have a page in my grade book with their names and since the top had MTWTF (days of the week) I would just go down monday and write a Y for yellow card, R for red and so so ( I had more than 3 colors) next to their name. I didn't write G for green (I just knew if their box was blank that it was a green.

Then I would look at one name and start to number the empty boxes 1-2-3-4-5. when they got to 5 they got to pick out of the treasure chest.

Plus then I had a record of what they did for the entire 9 weeks --for conduct grades.

I had to do it this way because when I had it that they had to stay on green all week----as soon as they turned a card they stopped trying for the rest of the week.

The other techers in my school decided to use this system again this year ( I didn't do it this past year) but since I will have 2-5th grade I am thinking I will use the treasure chest for 2-4 but for 5th it is going to mainly just govern their grade. I think by 5th grade they should not have to be rewarded for good behavior?!? I'm not sure do 5th graders need this?

We do have FTFriday if all of your work has been turned in for the week.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Comrade

Missouri
2nd Grade Teacher
I have found something that works for me and is super easy. I always get too caught up in teaching and everyday "little" things to keep up with charts and stickers, etc. I have a clipboard (I recommend the plastic clipboards from Wal-Mart that open!) with my behavior chart on it. It has a class list on the left and columns for Mon-Fri at the top. At the bottom are my codes I use to fill in the blanks any time they pull a card. Ex: RB = restroom behavior, TT = talking too much, etc. At the end of the day if they are still on green they earn a nickel. However, I also do team points and they earn pennies for however many points their team earns. On Thursday I let them do exchanges for nickels, dimes, and later, quarters. On Friday if they have 25 cents they can "buy" something from the treasure box. For the kids that are "always" green earn lunch in the room with me every two-four weeks. I have tried lots of different things and for me this was the most manageable.

Tags
behavior, green, ideas, management, red, yellow