A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Behavior Management Archives

Old 08-10-2004, 01:53 PM
Rookie

Nashville/TN/Southeast/United States
Question Kindergarten Weekly Behavior Report

I will be a first year Kindergarten teacher this year. I just got the job a couple of weeks ago, and I've done little with this age group, so I'm scrounging around to get things together. One thing I wanted to do was a weekly behavior report to go home to parents. My idea was to have a form with squares for each day of the week - children receive a smiley face for a good day - and an X over the smiley face if they displayed inappropriate behavior (after corrections had been made, of course). I also wanted it to have a place for parents to initial every day and a place where I could comment daily (if needed) and the parents could also comment. I haven't been able to find anything like that online. Can anyone give me suggestions on where I might find something like that? Please email me if anyone has something to share or any other information.

Thanks in advance!!

Nikki

Old 08-10-2004, 02:15 PM
Kay

Smile 2nd grade teacher

I've created daily report forms on the computer, using the draw or shape tools to make faces. Instead of X-ing a smiley face, consider using a series of faces, happy, medium, and sad, then you can circle the appropriate one. I used one with categories for different areas with 3rd grade classes; I don't remember exactly but things like cooperation (with others), following directions, completing work (or staying on task). There was space at thye bottom to write comments as time allowed.
Good luck!
Old 08-10-2004, 02:37 PM
Rookie

Nashville/TN/Southeast/United States
That is a great idea to use the different faces and circle the appropriate one. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try and see what I can come up with.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:10 AM
none

is this what you need?

Hi...just happened to come across your message and then two websites later what it seems you are looking for in my search for a form to have my son's teacher fill out regarding academic work each week...

here is the link...

http://www.jimwrightonline.com/pdfdo...rcsection9.pdf

Good luck!!!
Old 09-10-2004, 04:48 PM
Comrade

Washington
I give a daily behavior slip to my kids. I have green "Great Day", yellow "So-so Day" and red "Sad Day" with corresponding smiley (or sad-faced) faces. On the yellow and red day slips there is a small check list of common misbehaviors and I can quickly check-off specifics as why the child received a yellow or red (not following directions, talking out of turn, not keeping hand to self, etc.) Red ones must be signed by a parent and parents know these come home everyday. If you post your email address or send me a private message, I can email you a copy.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:02 PM
Newcomer

Hi, I'm new here and am a kindergarten teacher (and in the process of finishing grad school). In my classroom, I use a 'Stop Light' chart, a composition journal, and a calendar for each child. At the beginning of the year, my students learn classroom and school procedures (I don't like the word 'rules') including the role of the stop light. Each child has their own stop light- a rectangular piece of black construction paper with a green circle at the bottom. If I have to give a verbal warning, that child moves to yellow. As soon as the behavior improves, they move back to green. Red is a serious offense or if the behavior continues. The stop light chart corresponds directly to each child's behavioral journal. Each week, I write a note (sometimes brief, sometimes lengthy) to the students' guardians informing them of how their child's week went. I also paste a monthly calendar inside the journal which lets the guardian know what color their child was on at the end of the day. The journals allow for constant communication with the students' guardians and the stop lights are a visual behavioral reinforcement for the students (and at the end of the week, if the student has remained on green all week, they pull a prize from the Mystery Box)

Hope this helps and if you want, I can send you some pictures.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:29 AM
Novice

New York, NY
I use a method similar to this, we have a pocket chart and each child has his own pocket with an index card that has a red, yellow, and green dot on opposite corner/ends. Our theme is go for the green. When a child misbehaves they flip their card to yellow, that is a warning. If they continue to misbehave they flip their card to red, which gets a note home. We talk at the beginning of the year about how we are responsible for our own actions, and that only they can keep themselves from getting in trouble. They always have the oppurtunity to go back to green for good behavior, and each child starts on green no matter what they ended on the day before.

I also thought about the behavior report, we use to have something similar to that when I was in elementary school. Keep in mind that was 10+ years ago, but it is a pretty good idea. Each student had a type of calender in their binder/notebook. At the end of the day, the teacher would come around and either put a stamp on the day(we were the cougars, so we had paw prints) for good behavior, or would jot a note down for the parents. That way the parents alway knew what kind of day their kid had. I even think once you got a certain number of paw prints you got some kind of reward.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:38 PM
Newcomer

maine
I think i might be to late but here is something

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNV4700
I will be a first year Kindergarten teacher this year. I just got the job a couple of weeks ago, and I've done little with this age group, so I'm scrounging around to get things together. One thing I wanted to do was a weekly behavior report to go home to parents. My idea was to have a form with squares for each day of the week - children receive a smiley face for a good day - and an X over the smiley face if they displayed inappropriate behavior (after corrections had been made, of course). I also wanted it to have a place for parents to initial every day and a place where I could comment daily (if needed) and the parents could also comment. I haven't been able to find anything like that online. Can anyone give me suggestions on where I might find something like that? Please email me if anyone has something to share or any other information.

Thanks in advance!!

Nikki
Hey Nikki I was just going through some sites because my headstart wants to pretty much do what you were looking to do. If you go to proteacher.com then scroll down the page you will see behavior Mgt click on that. Another screen will come up scroll down the page and you will see where it says good behavior charts click on it. When I printed it out it displays a whole week and then it will say comments. I hope this helps you if you already have something this year great but if not i hope this works. Le-Ann
Old 12-21-2004, 11:28 PM
Rookie

What is your goal in sending home the reports every week? I heard a teacher once say this, "Do the parents send you a note home explaining how the child behaved on the weekend?" Unless the child was not being successful in school or the parents request a report, instead, you could use your energy to send home a weekly newsletter discussing the things you are doing in your classroom and exciting upcoming events. That way you are keeping it positive with your parents. This is just my opinion.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:00 PM
Cohort

Seattle Area
Kindergarten Teacher
Thumbs up

Hawk, you are right that we don't get "weekend reports" and that our time is precious. However I think they are very valid. My goal (when I'm in longterm assignments) is to praise good behavior and shoot for improvement. Once you get used to doing them it could take less than a 1/2 hour. It is just filling out the check list and occasionally writing a few short comments. It never ceases to amaze me how parent-teacher contact improves child behavior.

Tags
behavior, kindergarten, report, weekly