A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > General Education Archives

Old 08-05-2004, 11:58 PM
Rookie

Iowa
Smile Need First Grade calendar actvities!

This will be my first year teaching the first grade (previously taught 5th). I want my students to work with calendar folders that contain their own personal calendar and other activity sheets for morning calendar time. I have chosen to do personal calendars rather than group calendar time because my classroom space is very limited and I don't have room to set up a calendar center. I plan to have them write the month and date on their blank calendars and also record the daily weather. I would really like some other ideas of things I can put in their folders to reinforce other skills on a daily basis. Thanks so much!!!

Old 08-06-2004, 08:35 AM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Write today's date in Roman numerals
Is today odd or even
Write a math equation whose answer equals todays date
Make today's date using coins (on the 23rd it could be: 2 dimes, 3 pennies)
Write a greater than or less than sentence using today's date
Old 08-06-2004, 08:37 AM
Cohort

Elementary Principal
Oooh, I like this idea. I have to almost drag myself to do calendar time - I am not sure why, I just don't seem to enjoy it as much as other things. I do have a morning meeting but we jump right into discussions and our opening lesson.

Anyway, what about lined paper stapled inside of it and you could have a daily message wrote on the board. The students would be required to copy it in their best writing including the date and correcting any spelling or grammar errors you may have made (I did this a lot with sight words and my first graders knew how to spell their sight words very well last year).

On the left side of the folder could be the calendar grid. They could record the month at the top and write in the numbers at the start of each new month. Or.....they could add one number each day. I would also have them use a colored crayon to create a pattern as they go. In the beginning of the year, you could have them just use two crayons (AB pattern). Then, you could tell them they would be using three colors. So, the 1st day would be wrote in blue, then the 2nd in green, and the 3rd in yellow. They would repeat this pattern (blue, green, yellow, blue, green, yellow, etc) throughout the entire month. The next month could be a different pattern and so on.

Anyway, hope this helps - I may make these folders too!
Old 08-06-2004, 01:28 PM
Novice

Forgive my if I'm not allowed to do this -- but I found this excellent book from Crystal Springs called Creative Monthly Calendars. There are two calendars you can make for each month - choose the one best for your class. We make them at the beginning of each month and I have the students put in all the special days, holidays, birthdays, etc. What you end up with is a very nice, large calendar, made by the child, to take home and hopefully put on the frige and use! I only really focus on calendars once a month and just mention in passing daily when we put dates in journals, or whatever. No more daily, boring calendar time!
Old 08-06-2004, 03:18 PM
A to Z Teacher Stuff Owner

Missouri
Former K/1 Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalou
Forgive my if I'm not allowed to do this -- but I found this excellent book from Crystal Springs called Creative Monthly Calendars.
Actually, it's fine to recommend resources you've found useful!

I can back up your recommendation... The book referred to was written by Tracy Jarboe and Stefani Sadler, who are best-selling authors in our very own store! They are very talented.

Here is a direct link to purchase the Calendars book:
Creative Monthly Calendars

Here is a link to all the great downloadable materials by Tracy and Stefani here at A to Z Teacher Stuff:
ABC Schoolhouse
Old 08-07-2004, 10:15 PM
Rookie

Montana
Loved It!!!!!

I taught first grade for 7 years and will now be the new school librarian. Calendar was my favorite time of the day, I think I could spend a good three hours if I was allowed to. I have, however, never done calendar as a seat work activity. I think it's a great idea, especially since you are limited in your space. I would incorporate place value-since this is one of the toughies to teach-it wouldn't hurt to have a lot of exposure to this concept. I would place a laminated place value board in their folder and have them record the number of days of school you are on, the date or any running number you choose. As the number increases, you can teach how to trade ones for a ten and so forth. I also had my students mark the days for yesterday, today and tomorrow on the calendar and use the appropriate sentences for vocabulary (ex. Yesterday was Friday, August 6, 2004. Today is Saturday...). My students loved to do a graph a day. We did it as a whole class, but it could be made individualized as well. I would vary the types of graphs we did (pie, pictograph, bar, etc.). By the time standardized testing time came along, they were pros.

I hope some of these ideas will help. I have tons more if you want them.

Lots of luck,
Shannon
Old 08-08-2004, 09:20 AM
Phenom

Midwest
We graphed the weather everyday, put up a pattern with the number of days of school. The first pattern was red and orange school houses. I have seen straws done for place value. We did a Totally Ten Grid. Where you have a rectangle divided into 10 squares and put those dot stickers in a space for each day to show them how to use the grid when counting. Our calendar had a pattern. We also had a piece a paper and made tally marks. I kept each month, so we could compare and contrast the numbers. Song our days of the week song. Went over shapes (we had to know 3-d shapes as part of our curric. so I made flashcards) and sight words.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Rookie

Iowa
Thanks to all of you for your helpful suggestions! I really appreciate it! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions through out the school year!

Tags
actvities, calendar, grade