A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 07-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Connoisseur

Illinois
1st Grade Teacher
How do you organize/store math manipulatives?

I'm looking for a good way to store extra math manipulatives. We use EDM and I'm making a drawer for each game's materials in our rolling cubby (about 25 drawers), but I want an easy and accessible way for kids to get, say, an extra die if one in the game got misplaced, or where I could keep base-10 blocks and those types of materials. Any ideas?

Old 07-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Companion

Texas
4th Grade Teacher
I have a 6-door cabinet in my room. In their I have plastice shoe-sized containers that I bought at the dollar store. (You could even use tupperware (the disposable kind since it's cheap). So far (I'm still organizing.. I have each of the following in their own container: dominoes, angle manipulatives [protractors, angle rulers, etc], graduated cylinders, magnifying glasses, etc. Then I labeled the outside.

If you only want to store one die, or one game board piece.. you can find little plastic baggies that are made to hold jewelry beads at places like hobby lobby. Then put these baggies in a drawer that it labeled "extra game pieces and dice" OR you could put them in a storage container and label it as well..

I hope that makes sense
Old 07-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Connoisseur

Illinois
1st Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by peridotylayne View Post
I have a 6-door cabinet in my room. In their I have plastice shoe-sized containers that I bought at the dollar store. (You could even use tupperware (the disposable kind since it's cheap). So far (I'm still organizing.. I have each of the following in their own container: dominoes, angle manipulatives [protractors, angle rulers, etc], graduated cylinders, magnifying glasses, etc. Then I labeled the outside.

If you only want to store one die, or one game board piece.. you can find little plastic baggies that are made to hold jewelry beads at places like hobby lobby. Then put these baggies in a drawer that it labeled "extra game pieces and dice" OR you could put them in a storage container and label it as well..

I hope that makes sense
Thanks! I'll have to find a bookcase to use. The plastic shoe boxes are a good idea. I think I'd like to have plastic jars (maybe old frosting containers?) and label those for dice, each type of coin (pennies, nickels, etc) and put those next to the other manipulatives, or in the games organizer.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Companion

Texas
4th Grade Teacher
I've been looking for jars too! No luck finding any yet though. I actually haven't checked the dollar store now that I think about it. Something like the old plastic cereal jars.. just smaller would be great.

I want to put old markers (like those left on the floor practically every day), community scissors, glue sticks, those sorts of things.

I'll let you know if I find something
Old 07-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Cohort

Florida
I have seen round disposable type ziploc/rubbermaid containers at Walmart and they are usually less than $1. You get a pkg of 3 for $2.88 i think. Similar to the size of icing tubs.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Connoisseur

Illinois
1st Grade Teacher
Thanks for the tip about the disposable type of containers, Matt623! I think those would be good for dice and such, but having the larger ones would be nice too, peridotylayne. I know The Container Store has TONS of sizes and shapes, but they're so expensive! I think I might have to hit Dollar Tree.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Companion

Texas
4th Grade Teacher
http://plasticcontainercity.com/Clear_Tubs.htm

I came across this website while I was doing a search for the type of container I want. They don't have exactly what I'm looking for, but if I can't find anything else... some of these might do.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Habitué

USA
The plastic shoe boxes are good. You can get the generic Ziploc containers at the Dollar Tree. I also suggest that you get index card boxes for flash cards. I keep the Glad containers from coldcuts and use them to store various items too. Oh, and if you get small things like board pieces, a craft bead organizer is cheap and easy way to do it.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Companion

Texas
4th Grade Teacher
Oh good idea with the craft bead organizer! I have two of those in my room right now collecting dust. Right now my flash cards are in the original boxes they came in, but I don't see that lasting longer than this year. I'll definately keep the index card boxes in mind.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Comrade

Washington
Primary Elementary Teacher
We have EDM as well. We were given 4 tubs with lids containing the manipulatives. I keep items used infrequently like the spring scale and staws and twist ties as well as any items I didn't order as I already had my own set. My money is in frosting tubs. My mom was making a lot of cake for a church to-do and I got the empty tubs. I was also lucky to inherit an old card catalog drawer system from the librarian several years ago when we went to a computer system. I store my base 10 manips. in several of the drawers. Other drawers hold the cards, dice, measuring tapes, etc. The games sit in a box on top of the card catalog piece.

I also use tennis tubes and licorice tubs(saved by the PTA from their Friday recess fundraisers) to store other manips. I have but aren't part of the EDM program like my tiles, unifix cubes, dominoes, triominoes, 1 in wood cubes, etc. These are stored in a cupboard.

Tags
manipulatives, math, organize or store