A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Middle School / Junior High

Old 07-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Rookie

7th grade ELA interview....Help!

Hello everyone,

I am really hoping that someone can give me some advice. I am a new grad and just passed Generalist Ec-4 and 4-8 exams as well as sped......needless to say that I am now in pursuit of a teaching job. I am really hoping for a middle school position. I have an interview for 7th grade Lang. arts position and want to do my best because this is the position I have been waiting for. I have interviewed for a few other positions and don't feel that I did well so I want to be very prepared for this 7th grade position. I have worked with the sped department as a teacher's assistant, but never in middle school so any advice would help...

Thanks

Old 07-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Companion

Kentucky, USA
8th Grade Teacher
When I was on my school's site-based council and participated in interviews, I always asked the question...If I came in your classroom on any given day, what would I see

I just wanted to know what kinds of language activities might be happening. Would students be doing a lesson from a textbook? Or would they be learning fundamentals of using language in various forms and in context?

It was important for me to know that a candidate would not rely too heavily on a textbook and that students would be applying what they were learning to real-life language activities, tasks.

Last edited by kyblue07; 07-18-2008 at 07:06 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Rookie

Thank you so much for your input. This is the kind of advice I really need. Since this will be my first year teaching, I feel clueless as to what they want to hear in the interview. Again, thank you so much.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Companion

Kentucky, USA
8th Grade Teacher
Good luck and try not to stress too much (I know, like that's possible!) I was so nervous in my first interview that I thought I was going to throw up! But, stay confident and rely on your knowledge and training. One more piece of advice...if you honestly don't know an answer or how to answer a question, say so. I would have rather had a candidate be honest rather than hear crap. Take your best shot at it and let them know that you are unsure but would like to learn about it. Best of luck to you!
Old 07-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Rookie

Thanks again for the advice. I have my interview tomorrow so I will let you know how it goes.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Comrade

St. Louis, MO
Special Education Teacher
So, how did it go? What did they ask?
Old 07-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Rookie

Ok so this was a bit of a different experience for me. I have been on a couple of interviews and everyone has been friendly and professional, but on this last one, no smiles! I mena everyone on the committee was straight faced. Well they asked questions about TAKS and what I would do to make sure everyone passed the TAKS. I was a little stumped on that one because I wasn't quite sure what they were looking for.

I have to admit though, I feel as if they (schools) are looking for experienced teachers and since this would be my first teaching position I feel I am at a disadvantage. I have teacher's assistant experience in sped, but not teaching experience. Very frustrating!

Thanks again,

Tags
7th, ela, grade, interviewhelp