A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Behavior Management

Old 07-14-2008, 11:07 PM
Cohort

Tennessee
2nd Grade Teacher
Fred Jones

I have been doing some searching online and thought I could get some first-hand experience information from the best site out there!
What do you know about Fred Jones and his philosophy? What does his "Tools for Teaching" suggest? If there's anything else you'd like to share about Jones and his philosophies, I'd appreciate your input!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
Here are the on-line articles that pretty well detail his ideas and give you lots of teaching tips: http://www.fredjones.com/Tools-for-T...hing-main.html
One of his big ideas that I really advocate is that it isn't necessary to give students 30 problems to check for knowledge when 5 problems will do. For example, a teacher can use a WS with 10 problems on it to cover the entire learning cycle by using the first 2 problems to demonstrate, the next 3 to guide the students through them a step at a time letting them complete more on their own with each problem and the last 5 problems independently to check for understanding.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Devotee

Georgia
5th Grade Teacher
I never assign more than 10-12 for independent practice, and no more than 5 for homework.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Cohort

Tennessee
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasha View Post
Here are the on-line articles that pretty well detail his ideas and give you lots of teaching tips: http://www.fredjones.com/Tools-for-T...hing-main.html
One of his big ideas that I really advocate is that it isn't necessary to give students 30 problems to check for knowledge when 5 problems will do. For example, a teacher can use a WS with 10 problems on it to cover the entire learning cycle by using the first 2 problems to demonstrate, the next 3 to guide the students through them a step at a time letting them complete more on their own with each problem and the last 5 problems independently to check for understanding.
Thanks. Somehow, I missed that entire page when looking through that website!
Old 07-15-2008, 11:36 PM
Habitué

Rocklin, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnteacherlady View Post
I have been doing some searching online and thought I could get some first-hand experience information from the best site out there!
What do you know about Fred Jones and his philosophy? What does his "Tools for Teaching" suggest? If there's anything else you'd like to share about Jones and his philosophies, I'd appreciate your input!
I have read Jones' volumes many times, attended his seminar four times, in-serviced several schools, facilitated on-site once a week continuation groups using video course of study.

Jones' states in a nutshell (sorry), "I am not a discipline nut rather a time on task nut." His philosophy basically points at the teacher as the management system and determining factor whether a class of students reach their full potential.
Some Fredisms:
1) "You will never control a bunch of squirmy kids until, first, you learn to control yourself."
2) "The number one discipline technique in every classroom, at every grade level, in every school is nag-nag-threaten-punish."
3) "Any successful discipline technique will self-eliminate."
4) "There is no reason a teacher should work him/herself to death while the students sit back and watch. Effective teachers work the students to death while they sit back and watch."
5) "Without a standard of excellence (quality control) a teacher's standard will be determined by the sloppiest piece of work teacher is willing to accept."
6) "The art on 'meaning business' is 99% body language."
Old 07-16-2008, 05:12 AM
Cohort

I also like discipline comes before instruction. It has been a key element for me. I agree completely with working the students to death. My best lessons have been when the students were working so hard and were so engaged that I could have sat in the corner talking to myself and they wouldn't have even noticed. Of course, I didn't do that-I walked the room instead!
Old 07-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Companion

Texas
3rd Grade GATE
One thing that I like about his book is that he gives you ideas, but also uses great examples to show you how to incorporate things into your classroom. So many books are full of great ideas, but sometimes I need things spelled out for me. Jones shows you actual dialogue and actions to go with his theories. I didn't read his book until February and wished that I had spent my summer studying it.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Companion

Arizona
I think I learned the "ruling with proximity" thing from the Fred Jones book. It's the best-and easiest-discipline trick ever. If I have a student off task or refusing to work, I simply walk to his/her desk, put my hand on it and lean there, teach from there if necessary, until that student begins to work. You need not say anything -just your presence does the trick, even if it takes a couple minutes. Repeat if necessary. They hate when you camp out at their desk and will almost always comply!

I use this with my lovely 7th graders all the time at the beginning of the year--usually no one's off task by the 2nd month of school.

Last edited by mrs. dub; 07-28-2008 at 10:33 AM. Reason: typos!

Tags
fred, jones