A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Fourth Grade

Old 07-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Rookie

AZ
ELL tips anyone?

Has anyone taught or have had experience with English Language Learners?

Last edited by K_luv30; 07-14-2008 at 11:30 PM.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Cohort

4th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_luv30 View Post
. I'm very Anglo-American (blond, blue eyed), don't speak a work of Spanish, and am concerned of not being able to reach my students.
You can also be very Anglo-American and have brown hair and brown eyes!!
Old 07-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast

TX
Going to land a new position!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GD2BQN View Post
You can also be very Anglo-American and have brown hair and brown eyes!!
Ha -- I was about to respond that there are blonde and blue-eyed Mexicans, but I understand her concern so I didn't want to compound it.

I want you to know there is no reason to panic.

First off, find out from your principal which parents, if any, do not speak English. Because a child is in a bilingual class, do not assume the child or parent does not speak some English. Usually at least the children do, and they can help you communicate with their parents.

You do not need to be able to speak Spanish in your class -- you are teaching your students English only.

Your school or school district should have already tested these students, which is why they have been placed in your class. Your principal should be able to give you the results of the tests to help you determine which students are where.

To make you more comfortable, I would also recommend you learn more about the Hispanic culture. Many people don't know much more than stereotypes they have heard about or seen. Ask your local or school librarian if she or he can recommend good materials for you to read to learn more about the culture of your future students.

Good luck!

Tags
ell, tips