A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 07-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Rookie

Missouri
Preschool Teacher
classroom decorations

I have two windows in my preschool classroom. I would like to find curtains with a design of crayons or shapes or something like that? Does anyone know where to find something like that, someplace online?

Old 07-12-2008, 11:08 PM
Habitué

Northwest, USA
Primary Elementary Teacher
I do not know about your district...but at our school, we are not allowed to hang "curtains" unless they are fire-marshall certified to be flame retardant...Just thought I would throw that in...If that is not the case...I get just about everything for my classroom from e-bay or teacher supply sites. Hope you find what you are looking for...:0)
Old 07-13-2008, 08:16 AM

Way down south in Dixie!
Was PreK SPE, now HS SPE.
school valances

Saw those on ebay. If you know someone who sews, you could find material you like and get them made. My mom made my hot air balloon ones I have in my room.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:17 AM

Way down south in Dixie!
Was PreK SPE, now HS SPE.
blue crayons and stars Found that on ebay, too.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:19 AM
Groupie

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimuscles View Post
I have two windows in my preschool classroom. I would like to find curtains with a design of crayons or shapes or something like that? Does anyone know where to find something like that, someplace online?
I agree w/previous poster, first find out your school district or town's policy on curtains in the classroom first. Our district will allow curtains only if they have been treated with special fire retardant spray. Having said that, I made my own curtains and I don't sew. I found my dream fabric and I bought some "no sew" tape at WalMart. I also bought tension rods for $2 at WalMart. Then I ironed my new-sew tape on the fabric and created awesome curtains. Nobody could tell they weren't professionally made and it was cheap and easy. I searched ebay and all sorts of sites too but this was cheaper and easier.
good luck!
Old 07-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Companion

GA
Pre-K Teacher
I made my classroom curtains the same way Vanna did! They look great & have lasted several years. I also bought some grosgrain ribbon, tied it in a bow, and safety pinned two bows to the curtain at the top, on each side. I think the no-sew stuff is called "stitch witchery" (that's the brand I had, anyway).

A friend of mine also bought white curtains, then made a valance with the children by laying clear contact paper on a table. The children added pieces of colored tissue paper & other things (I can't remember what else). When it was done, she laid another sheet of clear contact over that (to seal it), then she cut a scalloped edge. The children's valance went across the window at the top, then the curtain hung at the sides of it. It may not sound that great, but it was really cute and looked nice.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Rookie

Missouri
Preschool Teacher
curtains

You all have some great ideas. I hadn't thought of checking ebay. I also did not know there was such a thing as no sew tape. I can't sew and don't know anyone who does so that could really help. The other preschool teacher at school has curtains [She already owned them from her home], and our building has had inspections so I think it's okay. Thanks for all your ideas.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Comrade

PA
Kindergarten Teacher
Wal-mart also had some great fabrics, with many different patterns on them, i've bought 2 yards in the past, and did my windows and a table cloth out of it...worth checking out..
Old 07-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Companion

Texas
1st Grade Teacher
another cute idea which I used last year in my windows was window clings. You can get those at any teacher supply store. When I took them down at the end of the year I just stored them im wax paper. The other window I covered with crate paper and made it a student bulletin board with seasonal crafts.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Habitué

Northwest, USA
Primary Elementary Teacher
window clings

I love window clings...last year, I taught middle school, and they loved coming in and finding a new design on the windows. I can't wait to see how 4 year olds like them!

Last edited by teacherSMK; 07-13-2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: face didn't show up

Tags
classroom, decorations