A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 11-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Fanatic

Washington
Early Childhood Teacher
Great Job. I really think you did great. To score a 7 on the things in your control shows that you have done well w/ what you were given and not let it affect you!! Great work.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Fanatic

PA
Middle School FACS
Quote:
Originally Posted by amethysst View Post
: Having children wash their hands everytime they enter the room from the outside. The children go to the bathroom and then walk through the corridor to the classroom -- under ECERS they have to enter the classroom and wash their hands. We spent more time washing our hands then doing anything else.
This one drove me crazy as well when I taught in an ECERS center. I totally agree with wash hands when you arrive at school (as we put it, get the "home germs off"), wash after potty, wash before and after snack and wash when coming in from playing outside. After all you should eat with clean hands, you should wash the saliva off your hands when you're done, obviously you wash after going to the bathroom, and getting the sand and dirt off after playing outside makes sense too. But why the heck do I need to wash my hands if I leave the pre-school room and enter the 2s room? And then wash them again 1 minute later when I re-enter the preschool room? That one was nuts!

Cleaning naps mats daily is nuts too when each child uses the same mat every day.

Overall do I do think that following the ECERS guidelines gave us a good program. The place I worked at is a 4 Star program so they have all 5-7s in their ratings.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Fanatic

PA
Middle School FACS
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3 teacher View Post
I am going to have my first formal ECERS visit next month sometime. I am really nervous about it. We have to average a certain score or the state could take our Pre K Counts $. As of right now I know that we will take a hit on the handwashing requirements and the playground space (our school district does not have a fenced in playground so we can not get beyond the basic score). These hits make me more nervous since I will have to score really high in other areas. I think for the most part I have a great classroom set up and program and my para is fabulous. But I'm still worried. Any advice from those who have been through it?
One thing we did at my center was make up an ECERS review sheet that we circled daily. So for example there was a spot for "read individually to children" and when we did that during the day we circled it; after doing a science activity we'd circle that. So it would just help us see how we were doing on meeting the goals. That way it was second nature during the observation (we made 4 stars the last two years I was there and I was observed all three years I worked there). Talk like you've never talked so much in your life. Seriously, babble on the entire time to the children. Make observations out loud, just talk, talk, talk! You'll feel ridiculous but trust me, that's how you'll get a 7 in the communication category (I forget the exact name but if you look in the book you'll know the one I mean). Learn a few songs in foreign languages to help your multicultural score - Frere Jaques for example, or anything in sign language if you can learn that.

Also make sure everyone knows what the "official" policy is even if you center doesn't follow it. Like the temperature range for going outside (I think it's 24 degrees to 92 degrees). So if you actually stay in if it's below 32 degrees don't say that to them!

Feel free to PM me and I'll see what else I can recall. My center is in PA and I was the ECERS trainer at my center so even though I haven't worked there for a year and a half I still know it pretty well.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Fanatic

PA
Middle School FACS
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3 teacher View Post
We finally got our score! I forgot to bring my paper home but is was 5.?? (close to 6). And actually, on most things we scored a 7 - the items we knew we would already score low on brought down our average - playground, gross motor play time. We score 2 or less in those areas. Also, we have to do this as a requirement for our state grant and the powers that be decided they would not score the grant programs on Health and Safety (we would have bombed with all of the hand washing) and Parent Involvemnt (we would have scored high).
I feel really relieved that it is done for now and the majority of the items I can control I scored 7s! YEA!!!!
Congrats! And clearly I should have read ahead before replying as I hadn't noticed the date of the original post. So you can ignore my advice in my previous post :-).
Old 01-24-2010, 03:49 AM
Rookie

IL
Preschool Teacher
I was evaluated recently and had mixed feelings about it. I reorganized my room so that ALL of my storage was out of the room. On the shelving in each center there are now only items available for student use during center time. It really opened up the room.

One thing I didn't like about it was the nit-picky, unrealistic expectations. I felt like the system was set up with too narrow of a view and not a realistic overall look at the classroom.

I got dinged because I had the students start cleanup at the block center 3 minutes early since it takes so long to clean up at that center. I got a super low score for blocks because it said it was available for 57 instead of 60 minutes. That's ridiculous and petty. And like another poster said, if you get dinged at a 2 it doesn't matter what you have at 3, 5 or 7. Ugh...

I'm in an OLD public elementary building and therefore score rock bottom on items that are out of my hands. Our playground isn't fenced on 4 sides, we have steps that go down to our gym, no bathrooms in the room, etc.

Hand washing procedures are unrealistic also. When ECERS kids grow up and someone asks, "What did you learn in preschool?" They'll think back and say, "It was just a big hand washing blur!"

I wouldn't be an ECERS evaluator for anything in the world. I love teaching, building others up and would never want to go around crushing teacher's selfesteems for a living!
Old 01-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Aficionado

OREGON
Is this the scale by Harmes?
Old 03-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Newcomer

US
ECERS has too many unrealistic rules. Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things if you only have one kind of paint out? Also, we are in an area with a lot of overweight children. When we do what ECERS says, and bring blocks, books, and puzzles outside, the overweight and out of shape children do not play. When we leave them put up, they will play with the gross motor equipment. Isn't it best to do what the children need, not what some book says is a good idea?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Fanatic

Washington
Early Childhood Teacher
[QUOTE=Glenda;1155533]
Hand washing procedures are unrealistic also. When ECERS kids grow up and someone asks, "What did you learn in preschool?" They'll think back and say, "It was just a big hand washing blur!"

QUOTE]

Funny that is exactly what the parents in my program do say...lol...in a nice way, honest. Anyway, we blame the Health Dept. It is in the ECERS, but the DOH here sends out posters that say the same thing...so it passes the buck a little. Somehow the parents think that ECERS rules are ok to break. But not the DOH rules! And the washing when you enter a new age level room is (according to DOH...again) because it counts as a new "enter" and each "enter" means you need to wash. They hope this will cut down on illness....but really, we all breathe the same circulated air and many of us are siblings. Go figure. I do like the program that comes from ECERS facilities though.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:04 PM
Newcomer

Early Childhood Teacher
I can relate to Mrgrinch09.

But Plastic bags are a no-no now!
IF they find 1 tiny size bag you get a ZERO!
yes, I was observed one time recently and we had pom-poms in the orignal plastic bag and we got written up for that. I swear how crazy is that? and don't get me started with the handwashing routine. THAT's nuts...the person that started ECERS never worked with or had kids.

Tags
ecers