A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 07-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Newcomer

PRESCHOOL ASSISTANT
ECERS???

Hi writing from England just been ECERED today and all the staff in the setting found this really useless? the 2 people assessing us didn't even look in all are resources we had to point things out to them they have been totally unhelpful. as ecers started in America i was just wondering what you all thought of it over there? has it been good for the preschools? nurseries ect. thanks for looking

Old 07-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Maven

Preschool Teacher
I saw it briefly, and used it in one of my college classes. Personally, I think it is another system to keep preschool caught up in paperwork. We are getting to carried away with preschool assessments. Students and programs are becoming analyzed too much. The purpose of proper preschool is socialization. If you tested anyone on any particular day, I am sure we would all miss a few marks. My feeling is, if you do what you are supposed to do all the time, you shouldn't worry about the big wigs with the clipboards and whether or not they ask you questions. It seems like people are getting paid to get on our nerves.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Maven

Preschool Teacher
And you are right about it being useless. Any assessment that does not give you results that you can use to improve is basically insulting and annoying! If you can't help me, leave me alone!
Old 07-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Newcomer

PRESCHOOL ASSISTANT
hi totally agree problem is they are saying that if preschool don't get to a certain grade then they will not get extra funding which is why it is so frustrating when the assessor can't be bothered to look for things which are sitting in the room!! 1 of the assessors that came today has a preschool of her own and out of the 43 points hers got 31 7's. most of our problems are out of our hands as we only rent a room in a school and we can't change layout or outside area which they know but say if we don't achieve all of level 2 then we can't go on even though we had met all of the other targets up to 7. has there been any negativity towards it in America? or am i just being too sensitive towards what others think?
Old 07-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Novice

Florida
Preschool Teacher
I vote for useless on ECERS also. I work at a Christian based Preschool and this past year we were inspected by them twice. We did great and scored a 6.2 out of a 7 but the changes that were made to meet their standards in no way "improved" the preschool. Worrying about where to put the library in the room instead of being concerned with are the children reading the books? Counting how many multicultural books, puzzles, cds you have in a class. Having children wash their hands everytime they enter the room from the outside. The children go to the bathroom and then walk through the corridor to the classroom -- under ECERS they have to enter the classroom and wash their hands. We spent more time washing our hands then doing anything else. And the washing each and every naptime mat with bleach everyday --- and who is watching the children while I am busy washing mats? Unrealistic rules and guidelines. We also have the problem of being in classrooms that were intended for Sunday school -- so we do the best we can with the physical environment we have. We have a great reputation in the community -- have doctors, lawyers, teachers children -- so again if it isn't broken don't fix it but unfortunately when schools start taking state money that have to adhere to rules that are being written by someone sitting in an office in the state capitol building but in practice on an everyday basis they are useless!!!!!! My two cents
Old 07-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Habitué

Washington, D.C.
Director
I think it can be very useful as a self-assesment tool. It gets you thinking about what you can improve.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Rookie

Louisiana
Preschool Teacher
I have very mixed feelings about ECERS. Overall I think it is mostly about good teaching practices. That being said, our evaluations are very stressful. When the state comes to visit they do check EVERYTHING. It is not like the visit that you experienced. They go through everything and write it all down. After the observation, the assessor takes some time to write up the report and then meets with the teacher, principal, and pre-k supervisor for our parish. So we do get feedback. The teacher next door was assessed this year and she was sent a report to fill out. It had her weaknesses on it and she had to fill out what she was doing to correct those weaknesses.

There is no way that a person can follow all those rules on a daily basis. I do try to follow ECERS to the best of my ability on a daily basis, but you better believe that I do prepare for state visits and make sure that everything is as perfect as I can make it. The sad thing is that we are about to have an additional assessment added. Now they are going to assess us on ELLCO as well as ECERS. Just what we need . . . another assessment!
Old 09-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Companion

Pennsylvania
Preschool Teacher
I am going to have my first formal ECERS visit next month sometime. I am really nervous about it. We have to average a certain score or the state could take our Pre K Counts $. As of right now I know that we will take a hit on the handwashing requirements and the playground space (our school district does not have a fenced in playground so we can not get beyond the basic score). These hits make me more nervous since I will have to score really high in other areas. I think for the most part I have a great classroom set up and program and my para is fabulous. But I'm still worried. Any advice from those who have been through it?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Novice

California
Preschool Teacher
ECERS is a great tool just to keep check on your classroom environment. Our program uses a peer check ECERS where we go to one another classroom and do an ECERS on one another. Giving positive feed back and helping one another become great early childhood educators. A great teacher is made by the one next door. We all enjoy the process because it really makes us look at our environment and our teaching practices so that we can provide a quality preschool program. Where children can have a living learning classroom environment. You want to have a classroom environment were children can explore, investigate, observe and flourish for life long learning. Also if you are having behavior problems some times it is just making some key changes to the environment to help with that behavior problem.
Yes it is time consuming but once you get use to using the tool it does not take long. And YES when the State comes in to conduct an ECERS they always find something to fix, but remember they just want to make sure that the money they are giving us is being used to the best ability for children learning.
Here is a classroom environment page that is from a NAEYC accredited program. A lot of hard work went into these classrooms.
http://kidsworldexploration.com/id69.html
Old 09-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Devotee

California
Early Childhood Teacher
I have never been evaluated by ECCERS. I did use the ECCERS to arrange my classroom and daily schedule and I do refer to it regularly to make adjustments in my room. I was trained in ECCERS and did my own eval. I think ECCERS is a great resource. There are many things I cannot change: door widths, door plate heights, ventilation, lighting for a few. There are areas in which I am lacking also. I moved things around to better fit my needs. I moved a quiet reading area closer to the housekeeping area because it worked better in my room. I know that would result in a lower score.

No one will score perfect on ECCERS. It is just reference to help in the arrangement of a classroom and schedule.

I am sure I would feel differently if I were being evaluated for an outsider and would be upset if funds depended on the eval.

Tags
ecers