A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 07-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Comrade

California
1st Grade Teacher
AR levels VS FP, lexile or A-Z levels?

I am on my own in creating a guided reading program, no one at my school does this. The only assessment tool I have is the STAR test (related to AR) in the computer lab. No DRA, Fountas and Pinnell, etc Anyone happen to know how to correlate AR level to FP, Lexile or Reading A-Z? For instance, if I decide to spend the $80 on ReadingA-Z, I would have to give the STAR test and then try to figure out which benchmark test to give them. I guess take the Independent reading level and add .2?? I HATE guessing!! Maybe if there is no correlation chart you could give me your impression of how the STAR test results seemed to compare? I noticed book levels seem to vary greatly between AR and the other systems..
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Aficionado

New Brunswick, Canada
4th Grade Teacher
There is a correlation chart on Reading A-Z... I'm not familiar with AR, we use Fountas & Pinnell, and they use their own separate lettering system... So I used the correlation chart quite a bit... but then it looks like there is no AR column there...

I'm not sure if you can get this link without a membership, but you can give it a try:

http://www.readinga-z.com/guided-rea...rrelation.html

Tags
levels, lexile