A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 06-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Connoisseur

Illinois
1st Grade Teacher
Reading genres - which to teach?

I teach first grade, and I love Beth Newingham's genre posters. For Reading Workshop, I ask the students to color a square for the day of the general genre they read (fiction, non-fiction, or poetry) in a reading log. During class readings, we discuss a book's genre more in-depth (it's realistic fiction if it could really happen, but it's fantasy if it couldn't, etc).

So my question is... Do you think all of the posters on Beth's site (http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bne...eb3/Genres.htm) would be appropriate to introduce and to hang in the library? I'd still probably keep the students responsible for independently recording just fiction/nonfiction/poetry, but discuss the genres as a class as we read together.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:14 PM
Connoisseur

New York
Reading Interventionist
For 1st grade, I would talk about the genres as we encounter them in read alouds. I teach 2nd and I introduce my kids to genres early in the year, but just one at a time. They usually come into 2nd knowing about poetry, and fiction. They learn about non fiction, realistic fiction, biographies, traditional literature, fantasy and that's about it. We don't go too deep into historical fiction and things like that. They will get a mouthful of that in the higher grades, especially in my school!!
Old 06-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Connoisseur

Illinois
1st Grade Teacher
We don't do historical fiction either, at least not formally. We do poetry, fiction, and non-fiction (a large unit on features of non-fiction text), so they know those well. We get into realistic fiction versus fantasy (Junie B. Jones versus Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse), some biographies (Ruby Bridges, MLK Jr.), and fairy tales (for the traditional literature component).

I struggle to find good non-fiction that's more social science related and at a first grade reading level - there's tons of science, but few biographies/autobiographies to at least introduce that genre through independent reading.

Tags
genres, reading, teach