A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 06-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Cohort

Smyrna, GA
1st Grade Teacher
Help deciding on paint color for classroom

Many of you know that I transferred to the county and am teaching at a new school. Well, the principal said that I can repaint the classroom. At first, I said "No, not this year." Now that my classroom is almost set up, I keep staring at the random red, blue, and green colors painted onto the concrete blocks. I've decided that I do want to repaint the classroom. What colors should I choose? I know I don't want anything dark. Those dark reds, blues, and greens are bothering me to no end.

I want something soothing and calming, but nothing to put them to sleep. I just want it to feel comfortable. What color do you think I should paint it? I do have two small windows in the classroom on one wall. The windows are on the far side of the wall on each side.

Also, how hard is it to paint classroom walls? Do I use a roller? Or do I have to do it by brush?

If I painted any pictures on the walls, it would just be small birds by the windows or other things like butterflies and dragonflies. Anything else is beyond my painting abilities! I like nature-related things, but I dont' want it to overwhelm my classroom.

Then again, I do have a friend of mine who is a graphic designer and is really good at painting, so if you guys come up with an awesome idea on here, I could probably talk her into it.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Phenom

Northern CA
5th Grade
I think I would go with turquoise. I'm not sure what studies say about color, but it's bright and positive. But it's also a cold color, and I'm not sure how that affects kids.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Enthusiast

TX
Going to land a new position!
Hey corps2005 -- I love to paint, so it's too bad I live so far away

How about jewel tones? They are soothing but vibrant at the same time, and make a room feel cozy and comfortable. They also go well with a nature theme.
http://static.zoovy.com/img/kraftyat..._chalk_set.jpg http://www.secretcove.com/ho100c.jpg
http://www.sensia.com/chmosaic.htm

What are the wall made of? Regular drywall? Then use a roller, and use small, inexpensive 2" brushes to do the cutting in (painting alongside trim and near ceiling).

Have fun!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Enthusiast

TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
I think I would go with turquoise. I'm not sure what studies say about color, but it's bright and positive. But it's also a cold color, and I'm not sure how that affects kids.
Turquoise can look warm if it's in a room with lots of natural light. I once painted my kitchen walls turquoise, and did all the trim in a very bright white. Tropical, and I loved it.

And you are so right, Jem -- the color made me happy to be in the kitchen!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Aficionado

North Carolina
4th Grade Teacher
Here is an exerpt from a study on colors in the classroom. Maybe it will help you choose.

"Colors send signals to the brain without us even thinking about it. Some are soothing, some are not. Some help us focus, some are distracting.

Pale Yellow/Almond
If you were to select the best colors for bedrooms and classrooms, which colors would be best? Dunn and Dunn have found that pale yellow and almond seem to be the best colors for not irritating anyone. These colors would be a good general color for school hallways.

Light Pink/Rose
Light pink and rose are very soothing colors. They would be very suitable for a BD classroom, Behavior Disorder, or a Kindergarten room where activity is high. Some basketball teams paint the opponent's locker room pink hoping to "calm" them before the game. Some jails are painted pink.

Green
Creativity seems to be inspired by the color green. An art room would be the choice for green as well as a creative writing classroom.

Blue
Blue is the color of academics. A science or math room would be a good candidate for this color. Light blue could also be a good overall classroom color. It is also soothing and computer screens are often light blue for a good reason. When bright or irritating colors are used on computers, students are not able to work without figeting, work for shorter lengths of time and become more aggressive toward each other. Computer screens, especially in BD, Behavior Disorder, rooms and for ADHD students, should be pale blue or pale pink.

Orange, Yellow and Red
These are often called Hot Dog colors. Bright yellow excites the brain and body. This may be a great color for an exercise room but not a bedroom or study hall.

The color orange seems to agitate. Painting a bedroom orange would probably keep the child awake longer at night. Putting two siblings into an orange bedroom would probably result in them not sleeping and fighting, as well. Orange would probably be the worst color to paint a school cafeteria.

Color and Food
Red often triggers hunger. What colors are used for fast food restaurant signs? KFC, Hardees, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Burger King and convenience stores have what colors on their roofs, buildings and signs? You may not have been hungry until you looked at the sign. Suddenly, you have the urge for a shake, fries and a burger. That is not a coincidence.

You send a child to their room to do homework. Red pillows and decorations fill the room. Don't be surprised if the child comes out for snacks often while doing homework.

Color, lighting, temperature all affect our brains, bodies, how we learn and how we behave."
Old 06-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Cohort

Smyrna, GA
1st Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy99 View Post
What are the wall made of? Regular drywall? Then use a roller, and use small, inexpensive 2" brushes to do the cutting in (painting alongside trim and near ceiling).

Have fun!
Ummm I wouldn't say they are flat or smooth. They are the bumpy type of concrete blocks, if that makes any sense.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Enthusiast

TX
Concrete blocks -- well crap, you may have to use a brush.

Blocks tend to not do so well with a roller because the surface is not usually uniformly smooth. You may have to go the brush route. Sorry

HOWEVER -- rub your hand along the block. Does it feel somewhat smooth? Then buy a small disposable roller, get some paint and test a small area to see if the roller does a suitable job.

Good luck!
Old 06-23-2008, 11:01 PM
Comrade

California
1st Grade Teacher
They have rollers for uneven surfaces, i would try one of those! A few classrooms at my school are painted and I totally want to paint mine. I HATE white walls! I am going to wait until after this year to make sure I will stay in 4th before I ask if I can paint. I personally would do a light yellow/green or blue combo for the above reasons and they just make me happy (my house is full of these colors.) The artistic teacher at school did hers eggplant and two-toned yellow sponge. It looks awesome.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:18 AM
Habitué

WA
3rd Grade Teacher
I'm jealous. We can't paint in our classrooms! Every single wall in the school is an almond color and it's BORING!
Old 06-24-2008, 07:05 AM
Habitué

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainStorm View Post
Here is an exerpt from a study on colors in the classroom. Maybe it will help you choose.

"Colors send signals to the brain without us even thinking about it. Some are soothing, some are not. Some help us focus, some are distracting.

Pale Yellow/Almond
If you were to select the best colors for bedrooms and classrooms, which colors would be best? Dunn and Dunn have found that pale yellow and almond seem to be the best colors for not irritating anyone. These colors would be a good general color for school hallways.

Light Pink/Rose
Light pink and rose are very soothing colors. They would be very suitable for a BD classroom, Behavior Disorder, or a Kindergarten room where activity is high. Some basketball teams paint the opponent's locker room pink hoping to "calm" them before the game. Some jails are painted pink.

Green
Creativity seems to be inspired by the color green. An art room would be the choice for green as well as a creative writing classroom.

Blue
Blue is the color of academics. A science or math room would be a good candidate for this color. Light blue could also be a good overall classroom color. It is also soothing and computer screens are often light blue for a good reason. When bright or irritating colors are used on computers, students are not able to work without figeting, work for shorter lengths of time and become more aggressive toward each other. Computer screens, especially in BD, Behavior Disorder, rooms and for ADHD students, should be pale blue or pale pink.

Orange, Yellow and Red
These are often called Hot Dog colors. Bright yellow excites the brain and body. This may be a great color for an exercise room but not a bedroom or study hall.

The color orange seems to agitate. Painting a bedroom orange would probably keep the child awake longer at night. Putting two siblings into an orange bedroom would probably result in them not sleeping and fighting, as well. Orange would probably be the worst color to paint a school cafeteria.

Color and Food
Red often triggers hunger. What colors are used for fast food restaurant signs? KFC, Hardees, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Burger King and convenience stores have what colors on their roofs, buildings and signs? You may not have been hungry until you looked at the sign. Suddenly, you have the urge for a shake, fries and a burger. That is not a coincidence.

You send a child to their room to do homework. Red pillows and decorations fill the room. Don't be surprised if the child comes out for snacks often while doing homework.

Color, lighting, temperature all affect our brains, bodies, how we learn and how we behave."
Is that the whole study? I'm going back into BD and didn't even think about the computer screens. Thanks! This is wonderful information!

Tags
classroom, color, deciding, paint