A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Middle School / Junior High

Old 06-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Companion

Texas
Technology and Robotics
Texas 7th grade social studies

I'm assuming that a 7th grade social studies class is basically Texas history. Am I correct? Is there anyplace I can go to see a copy of the textbook, or subjects covered? I know the TEKS skills are listed on the TEA website, but was wanting more of an outline as to the subjects covered. I was thinking I could work through some to think through some sample lesson plans for the subjects.

Thanks,

Suze

Old 06-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Comrade

Texas
Grade 8 English & reading
Suze~I teach English, so I don't know any textbook sites for TX history. However, I do know that our district (and probably many others) has a link on its website to the scope and sequence for each subject by grade level.
Here is a link to the social studies curriculum page:
http://www.birdville.k12.tx.us/instr...e_current.html

This is a link to the 7th grade scope & sequence spreadsheet:
http://www.birdville.k12.tx.us/instr...ceChart(1).xls

Hope these help!

~Val
Old 06-28-2008, 04:00 PM
teach7_8

I don't know about Texas, but here the 7th grade social studies text is mostly ancient civilization, with short sections on economics, geography, and other areas of study. The state history is a separate class. If you know what text company your school uses, you could look on their site as well.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Aficionado

Texas
HS English - alternative ed
7th grade is Texas history in our state. Some schools have started focusing more on American history during the last half of the term. It really depends on how well the district is performing on the social studies TAKS test. The better the scores, the less pressure they put on the 7th grade teachers to start teaching Texas history.

This is the book my district uses: http://www.glencoe.com/sec/socialstu...003/index.php4

Tags
7th, grade, social, studies, texas