A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Middle School / Junior High

Old 06-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Novice

Missouri
Middle School Teacher
Middle School Classroom Decorating

I am a new 6th grade math teacher in a middle school setting. I am looking for advice on decorating my classroom this fall. I was wondering how you decorate your classrooms in a middle/junior high school setting. Do you still do themes like they do in elementary school or do you start limiting the decorations since they are getting older?

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2008, 11:24 AM

Little City on the Prairie
Former math teacher
You can still do a theme, it just has to reflect the age you're working with. My theme is "Keepin' it Real". I pull from everyday life create analogies to what we're studying. For example, I have a large map of the city on the wall, with a carteasian plane superimposed over it and fitted exactly with the cross streets that make the "axes" of the "grid" of the street system. When I teach the coordinate plane, we talk about how the street addresses work and then how it's really just like how plotting points work, really that it's the exact same thing, only the street system is plotting houses and businesses, instead of an abstract "point". There are other examples of real life math illustrated all over my classroom. In keeping with the theme, they also have to keep a real life math journal which we talk about once a week. Be creative and stick with their level and you can make a theme really successful.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Groupie

USA
PK-5
My students like helpful posters on the subject matter I teach (math)...They asked me to put up more.

I have a lot of calendar photos and magazine photos that are interesting (science closeups national geographic)

quotes

their own artwork

They love the "scream" poster for whatever reason and escher's illusionistic art and dali's surrealist art.

that sort of thing.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:41 PM

Little City on the Prairie
Former math teacher
Oh, you could have a lot of fun with "Math Art" Escher and Dali are just the start. You could also do the "Math of the World" thing, with examples of math concepts used by current and past civilizations as seen through art and objects created by them.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Devotee

Mid-Michigan
Middle School Teacher
I steer away from "cutsi". i teach 4 different SS classes and Lit and language arts and religion to 6th grade. So, I tend to go toward a SS theme. I have US History Timelines and Geography posters, etc. But no real theme.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Rookie

Middle School Teacher
Some of the teachers in our school do a theme each year. I just put up things that relate to the subject, and posters and quotes that I know the students will find interesting. As the year progresses, I put student work up. My office has items and pictures from all around the world. My students love to look at my office and ask me questions about different items and pictures.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Aficionado

Kentucky
Middle School Teacher
I'm not a "theme" kind of person. I just try to put up something I can live with all year!

Here's my room from last year.

My 2007-2008 Classroom
Old 06-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Novice

Missouri
Middle School Teacher
Thank you for all of the ideas! I start teaching summer school on 7/21 so I was going to start putting everything together in the afternoons when the kids leave. I can't wait!
Old 06-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Companion

Texas
Middle school science
I didn't do themes. I put up a fabric background on my bulletin boards, put a coordinating border around them, and covered them with
1. student work
2. content specific posters
3. motivational posters
Old 06-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Enthusiast

I'm teaching middle and high school this year. Last year, I taught middle school and didn't have a theme. This year, my homeroom is in the kitchen (not an industrial one, just a regular ol' kitchen that looks like one in your house) so I may have a minor underlying cooking theme like titling the bulletin board "What is Cooking?"

Tags
classroom, decorating, middle, school