A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 07-18-2004, 08:31 PM
Comrade

Texas
Primary Elementary Teacher
Smile Elementary Student Government Programs

Hello!
I am a second grade teacher who will be starting a new student government program in my school. I am looking for ideas about how to get off to a successful start and how to keep the program going all year. I shadowed a teacher who did this when I student taught, but I am at a loss of how to start the program off. Thank you for your advice/suggestions/encouragement!
Nancy
2nd grade

Old 07-19-2004, 06:51 AM
pkm

Smile teacher

I ran student council at my school for 2 years. I had 4-5th graders. each class voted for 2 representatives each semester. We did community service by collecting food for the food pantry, coats for the homeless, raised money through raffles to buy books for hospital children. We had a recycling progam for used ink cartridges and paper. Promoted fun days like hat day, slipper day, etc. to raise money for plant-a-promise anti drug program, and for other charity. Good luck and have fun. The kids will have their own great ideas too!
Old 07-19-2004, 11:01 AM
Fanatic

Broward County Florida
I happened to have had NONE as elementary (the school patrols were the 'leaders') but once i hit middle and senior high, I ran each year with my twin sister as a running mate.
7th grade she was pres, I was vice
8th grade, i was pres, she was vice
9th grade, she was pres, I was vice
10th grade, I was pres, she was vice
11th grade, she was pres, I was vice
12th grade, I was pres, and she was on senate

We were so well trusted by the administration, and very well known by our peers. I HAVENT CHANGED A BIT! The character, is still there. I was a patrol in elementary as I recall the chairperson was the FAVORITE teacher of the school. Its quite an outstanding responsibility but its simple when the right representatives have been chosen and the students will NOT choose based on popularity but rather, on citizenship.

Tags
elementary, government, programs, student