A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 06-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Cohort

Tennessee
2nd Grade Teacher
Time Capsules

I am thinking about doing a time capsule with my class next year, but am not sure to go about it as I have not done it before. Has anyone done a time capsule with 5th grade students? Did they enjoy it? What did you put in it?

Old 06-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Devotee

Georgia
4th Grade Teacher
I did it with my 4th graders last year and they really liked it. They filled out a 1 page "survey"...favorite color, song, tv show, book, etc. They used a piece of string to measure their height, traced their hand and foot, wrote a paragraph about what they expected to learn in 4th grade. Each child put theirs in a gallon bag with their name on it. I put them in a box and put it away until the last week of school. Then they filled out the same survey, measured again, traced again and I got out the bag from the beginning of the year. They really enjoyed comparing where they had been and where they were at the end of the year. I wish I had had them create a Venn diagram with the information, but I didn't think about it at the time.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Devotee

Loving life and daring to live it!
Upper Elementary Teacher
I have never done a time capsule, but I'm looking forward to doing it with my class this year. I plan on doing the survey and handwriting sample like Mrs. Van Dyke.
http://www.mrsvandyke.com/backtoschool.htm
Old 06-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Rookie

KY
3rd Grade Teacher
I did something real similar to goopp. We used Pringles Cans and covered them in construction paper and decorated them. I gave them back the last week of school.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Comrade

Maryland
5th Grade Teacher
This sounds really cool. I'd like to try a time capsule with my fifth grade class too!
Old 06-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Cohort

Tennessee
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by christi1273 View Post
I did something real similar to goopp. We used Pringles Cans and covered them in construction paper and decorated them. I gave them back the last week of school.
Using the cans sounds like a great idea! I wish I had the space to store all of those. I have virtually no storage space. Ack!

Tags
capsules, time