A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 06-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Devotee

New York
Teaching Left and Right

How do you teach left and right? I am doing it this week. I have a fingerplay, and we are going to do the Hokey Pokey. I also planned on putting some sort of red bracelet on their right wrists as a visual...only thing i can think of is tying a red ribbon. I wish I could find a bunch of those rubber bracelets, like the LiveStrong ones, in red to give to them, but I doubt I will in the next couple of days. Anybody do anything else to teach them to distinguish between right and left? It is a part of our curriculum, but I want it to be just a fun introduction for the last full week of school.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Companion

New York
Preschool special ed teacher
Do they know their letters? If you take your index finger and thumb on both hands and hold them palm down, your left hand makes a L. L for Left!
Old 06-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Devotee

New York
Yes they do, I was planning on showing htem that too. I also read something where you write an L on their left hand and an R on their right hand. I thought if I did both of those at the same time, it might help them to remember which one looks like the L. I'm sure I would have some kids who would flip it and think that the other hand makes an L too LoL.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Companion

3rd Grade Teacher
Song

Jack Hartmann has a fun cd called Movin' 2 Math. There is a song on there called Kangaroo Learns Left and Right. It is a lot of fun and my kids request it all the time! The whole CD is great!

http://www.jackhartmann.com/cdproducts/movin2math.php

There are some songs on the website to listen to. Some of them may not be dev. appropriate for pre-k, but the left and right song is a lot of fun!
Old 06-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Fanatic

Kansas
"The Ants Go Marching On" Do a google search for the words.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Devotee

Nevada
2nd Grade Teacher
I vividly remember learning this in preschool. They tied a ribbon or string around one wrist, and all day longwe were reminded that the string was on our --- wrist, and to hold up our === wrist, etc. I remember that even after it was gone in the following days, if I had to figure out which hand was which, I would think about which one had the string been on, and use that to help me. For me, that was the lesson that worked perfectly.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Cohort

Michigan
I did a week where everyday I greeted each student with a hand shake and said "Good morning/afternoon Susie this is your right hand." Then I would put a stamp, sticker, a little lotion, or draw a smiley face on their right hand. This is a great activity because it teaches kids which hand is the right and how to shake hands with someone. If they learn which hand is the right then they will automatically know which is the left.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Comrade

OK
1st Grade Teacher
We practice Left/Right EVERY MORNING when we do the flag salute. We repeat a poem that I have written on sentence strips under the flag (I did what Harry Wong says... I stole it from the best but can't remember who), do actions with it while we "read it" L to R, and then salute the American Flag and then we say the salute to our state flag (I reinforce L/R, rhymes, reading readiness, motor skills, and patriotic symbols all at once). Before we start, we look for letter L on our left hand (It's also sign language letter L). (just like teacher2b123) By the end of the year, "almost" all the kids know left/right.

Left hand, left hand, reach up high.
Right hand, right hand touch the sky.
Right hand, left hand round, round, round,
Left hand, right hand pound, pound, pound.
(tap hand on heart and prepare to say pledge)

Hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Devotee

California
Early Childhood Teacher
Cute!

I have left/and right cards posted at each end of the bulletin board. The kids use them for the pledge. We also play games using them. Put your right hand on your nose...etc.

We dance to The Boogie Walk and Greg and Steve's We all Live Together 2.

I stamp an r on the right hand and l on the left hand and we play games as in the first paragraph.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Devotee

California
Early Childhood Teacher
By the way... those rubber bracelets are kind of big for my 4 and 5 year olds. They are provided to us during Red Ribbon Week and I decline because they fall off.

Tags
left, teaching