A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 07-14-2004, 08:48 PM
Rookie

Characteristics of an outstanding teacher

I am filling out a job application. The question is list the five most important characteristics of an outstanding teacher. I am working on mine but thought it would be fun to see what other people think.
1. Compassion
2. Energetic
3. Loyal to school and students
4. Flexible in situations
5. Humble

Old 07-14-2004, 09:14 PM

Illinois
Preschool Teacher
The ones I typically use when asked this question, in no particular order, seem to be flexible, patient, fair, responsible, and creative.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:36 PM

Florida
Enthusiastic, flexible, organized, good communicator, empathetic.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:33 AM
Rookie

Texas
My college had 10 characteristics of a novice teacher - these have translated very well for me during interviews - though some of course I modified/interpreted myself. They are....commitment and skills for life-long learning, effective communicator, moral/ethical/professional practicioner, facilitator of learning for all students, indepth knowledge of content, indepth knowledge of pedagogy, ability to effectively integrate content and pedagogy, have respect for human diversity, and be liberally educated. The ones I used for interviews were usually a combination of integrating effective content and pedagogy, belief that all students can learn and being able to be a facilitator for that, committment to life long learning (stressing the importance of being a team member and collaboration and keeping new and current in all the new research), effective communicator (with students.parents, staff, the community), and having respect for human diversity. Best advice - lists the things you are most passionate about in your teaching because I bet they are right on the mark! Good luck! I just got hired and am nervous/excited for the start of school, but I know how scary/frustrating finding a job can be!
Old 07-21-2004, 08:23 PM
Novice

Oklahoma
Math and Science
I think one of them should be team player. That is a very important characteristic. Without it things can be very uncomfortable.

Tags
characteristics, outstanding, teacher