A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Special Education

Old 05-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Rookie

USA
Special Education Teacher
Need help with social/emotional IEP goals

I'm a new special ed teacher teaching a special program for students with moderate disabilities. It is a self-contained class. However. the student I need help with is not in my self-contained class all day, he is mainstreamed for most of the school day. I have to do a new IEP soon and I always struggle with social/emotional goals. I know this may sound like a stupid question since you don't know this kid...but just in general, could you give me some ideas for social/emotional goals? He is MR and possibly autistic (had diagnosis for autisim when he was 6 but staff at school say he's probably not). The part I really struggle with is how am I going to teach it and track it when I'm not with him when he is mainstreamed. That would be the social part of his day, interacting with his gen. ed. peers.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:49 AM
Devotee

Midwest
Special Needs K-2
What age? Just curious.

If he has mod autism then he's probably not very social, talking to peers, etc., right? I'd make one of his benchmarks something like, "In the school setting, A will verbally identify his peers by name." Or if he's really young and/or more severe, you might say, "In the school setting, A will physically or verbally identify his peers by name." In primary grades it's easy to track because he could be the line leader at some point during the day and be asked to "call his friends" up to the line. "Bobby, Sally, Billy," etc. Or you would watch him during group work and see if he can identify the students who are in his group. If you hear him talk, "Give me that" or just take something, then you would teach him by modeling, "A, you need to say, 'Sally, please give me the magnifying glass.'" etc.

Just one social goal idea. I may be way off the mark with regard to his ability and age level.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:16 AM
Phenom

Sp. Ed. Teacher
franny, I love this IEP goal bank that I have attached. I found it this year and have used it for all of my IEPs this year. The IEP online program that I used at my old school had a bunch of goals listed in each area that we could choose from if we needed assistance, but I like these ones better.

http://www.bridges4kids.org/IEP/iep.goal.bank.pdf
Old 05-30-2008, 08:35 AM
Rookie

USA
Wow, thanks for responding

Wasn't sure anyone would respond and you both did so quickly, thank you! Both of your posts were very helpful. I particularly appreciate the link to iep goals-very helpful. Thanks!!!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Multitudinous

Ontario, Canada
Grade 7/8
That's a great resource, proud! There is a database attached to our online IEP Planner, but it isn't nearly as comprehensive as this one! I'll definitely be using it when I write IEPs in the fall.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Devotee

Midwest
Special Needs K-2
OOH! Awesome resource! I've saved it to "my favs."
Old 05-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Phenom

Sp. Ed. Teacher
I'm glad you all like the website. It was my life saver this year!! My principal shared my goals and objectives with the other teachers in my school .
Old 05-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Rookie

USA
Very cool, thanks again! I've already used two goals from that link! You're a life saver.

Anyone else got a great resource for IEP goals? There must be more, right?
Old 06-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Groupie

Midwest
I occassionally use a book called "Writing Measurable IEP Goals and Objectives". It has helpful samples that I have used as guides.

Tags
goals, iep, social or emotional