A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 05-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Habitué

USA
Special Education Teacher
Negotiating salary...

Can you negotiate your salary in private schools (Christian school to be exact)? I know this can't be done in public schools, but I thought Christian schools might be more flexible. I'm just curious if anyone has done this before. If so, what did you say and were you successful? Thanks.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Guru

Southern NJ
2nd Grade Teacher
I haven't negotiated necessarily (and I teach in a public school), but I was able to get the super to count my full year maternity leave position as a year of experience on the salary guide when I got my current job. Apparently I was lucky in that respect because they don't do that for a lot of people. I felt really good that they valued my year in kindergarten. Maybe you will be able to talk to HR about that when you are offered a job
Old 05-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Multitudinous

I'm sure you could attempt to negotiate your salary. I'm not entirely sure how you could do that, but there must be ways.

Keep in mind that many private schools pay less than their public counterparts not because they want to pay teachers less, but because they have very limited funding. You should always be mindful of the fact that you might be unsuccessful at negotiating up.

Furthermore, while you might not be able to negotiate your salary, you may find that private schools are more willing to negotiate on the other stuff...Perhaps you can finagle your way into free or reduced child care, deeper discounts on tuition for family members, extra days off for professional development, etc.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Connoisseur

Ohio
Several years ago I was offered a job at a private (Christian) school and the salary offer was simply not enough for me. I told him that, and he came back with an offer that was several thousand dollars higher. I still ended up not taking the job, however. But it just shows that sometimes there is money available.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Companion

2nd Grade Teacher
We have a specific scale based on years of experience and education level, very similar to public systems. I'm in a Catholic system.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Comrade

Florida
Quote:
I know this can't be done in public schools
Just wanted to point out that this isn't necessarily true...in many public schools you CAN negotiate what step you start on...then once you start it is done...no more negotiating later. I know this for a fact as it happened all the time at my old school in New York. If it was a position that was in high demand the principal would start a 3rd year teacher on a higher step (sometimes several steps higher) and say they were factoring in "life experience"
Old 05-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Habitué

USA
Special Education Teacher
Thanks for your replies. I guess what I meant was the I wouldn't be able to negotiate a salary since I'm a new teacher and expensive hire as it is (career changer with a Masters).
Old 06-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Novice

3rd Grade Teacher
Just as everyone else said it completely depends on the school. I'm a in a small inner-city Christian school and our principal wants to pay us more, but there simply aren't the funds. I've seen the school budget and know that there really isn't the money. So, in my case, negotiating wouldn't be possible at all.

Tags
negotiating, salary