A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > New Teachers

Old 05-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Novice

New Jersey
SpEd 4th/5th Grade
Attn: New Jersey alternate route teachers...

Are there any New Jersey alternerate route teachers on this board? If so, do you know the guidelines for obtaining standard certification?

I know you get the certificate of eligibility, enroll in a state approved program, get a job, and go through the provisional year. What happens if you don't get recommended for standard certification? Can you bring your certificate of eligibility to another school and try again or is it a one shot deal? One chance and you're out??

Please respond with any information. I scoured the internet and the Dept. of Ed website and found no answers. Thank you for any help!

Old 05-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Companion

USA
My friend is an AR teacher (well, was) in NJ. She mentioned someone asking about this once in her class. What she HEARD was that you can be carried under the provisional certificate from now-the CE is a moot point. Once you have a provisional, it is good for 2 years. Apparently, it can be renewed as needed. So that would get you into the next school.

Unfortunately, getting a job as an AR teacher is next to impossible in NJ. And you need the job to get into the classes. Maybe having the provisional would be a better thing for your resume!!!!!!!

I would try to call NJ's DOE and see.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Novice

New Jersey
SpEd 4th/5th Grade
Thanks for the reply. I will look into that. I have already completed all my teaching courses so I'm up for my standard already but my principal will not recommend me. Provisional licenses are applied for through the district itself. I think I need to call the NJDOE and see if I can get anyone on the line.

As for it being impossible to get a job as an AR teacher in NJ, you're right. Fortunately for me, I have a special education endorsement, so that is in high demand.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Companion

USA
Actually, I don't want to discourage you, but elementary sped is no longer in high demand in NJ. It has become flooded. My friend's school is getting 300-500 resumes for elementary sped jobs and my other friend's school is getting about the same. It is really BAD. I was looking myself and only could get a few interviews. Even the private schools are getting tons. The only classes that seem to have a slightly better chance are autism and profoundly handicapped classes.

I hope you have better luck. I gave up.

Why won't your principal recommend you? That is really awful.

You should have gotten a provisional when you started teaching, right? That should help you a lot. I would call and ask to speak with the alternate route people.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Companion

NJ
English/ESL Teacher
I'm an alternate route teacher in NJ, and I'm almost finished with my program to receive my standard certificate. Don't let people tell you it's impossible to get an AR job in NJ. At least 5 of the last 13 people my district has hired over the past few years have been alternate route candidates. Is it hard? Yes. But impossible? No. What worked for me was to secure a certificate of eligibilty in two different areas if possible (English and ESL). Once I got the ESL certificate, I got two job offers at very good districts.

PM me with any questions you have and I'll do my best to answer them for you. Good luck!
Old 07-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Newcomer

Howell, New Jersey
I was hoping you can help me out.

I have a business degree and would like to enter into the Alternate Route program. The websites are very confusing to me. Is there any possible way I can try to obtain a teaching job while in the process of alternate route? Or better yet, can you let me know how it works. Also... if not too personal... I would like to know how the pay scale is for being in the alternate route program.

I would appreciate any help/advice you can give me. Also what about if I wanted to just teach English/Language Arts?

Regards!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenngugs View Post
I'm an alternate route teacher in NJ, and I'm almost finished with my program to receive my standard certificate. Don't let people tell you it's impossible to get an AR job in NJ. At least 5 of the last 13 people my district has hired over the past few years have been alternate route candidates. Is it hard? Yes. But impossible? No. What worked for me was to secure a certificate of eligibilty in two different areas if possible (English and ESL). Once I got the ESL certificate, I got two job offers at very good districts.

PM me with any questions you have and I'll do my best to answer them for you. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Cohort

HIgh demand

What are the jobs in education that are in high demand? I was recently laid off and finding another job with just a k-5 cert is near impossible.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Companion

USA
NOTHING is in demand here. The best chances are math and science at the middle and high school level, but even they are getting more applicants. Special ed. at the secondary level and maybe middle school has better prospects. That is about it. Believe me, I have done the research. I have friends teaching and most areas are flooded with applicants. Elementary special ed, with the exception of profoundly disabled and autistic classes, is now saturated.

Mrs.Jules,

Alternate route here is tough, don't let anyone tell you differently. My friend went through it, and only got a job because her mom taught in the school. AR was created for a shortage and we do not have that here in NJ. Far from it. English is one of the most flooded areas.

To do AR, you need to have a job. You have to get a CE in the subject (providing you have the right credits and pass the Praxis for that subject). Once you get the CE, you can look for jobs. But, you have to get hired before you can get start the AR classes. It is not going to cost a lot to get the CE and take the test, but do NOT count on getting a job-make sure you know that going in. Do not leave your regular job, unless you can financially sub. and are willing to possibly have to wait a long time. You should definitely have teaching experience on your resume. Definitely consider adding another endorsement and getting a CE in that area. It would not hurt to go for the CE(s), as long as you know what you are up against. To give you an idea, my friend's school just received 500 resumes for one English position. You obviously need to stand out to get noticed or know someone to get you in. My friend told me that without her mom, she would have never gotten a job. Most of the people in her AR class of 20 total, were math and science.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Novice

New Jersey
SpEd 4th/5th Grade
Of course the exception here lies in the urban districts. If you don't mind teaching in Newark, Camden, Trenton, Paterson, Jersey City, Elizabeth and all other poor/Abbott districts then you're a shoe in to be hired. Special education teachers in these types of districts are in severe shortage.

If you want a cozy job in a rich suburban district, with a CE, you do not have a prayer!!!! Unless you have your cert in Math or Science for Middle or High school. There is a shortage there, but that is about it. Sad but true...
Old 08-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Cohort

That's not always true either. I was riffed this year from an ABBOTT district. I'm not SPED, but a friend of mine is. In general, finding and keeping a job in NJ is not easy. Especially now with the end of the abbotts. Less $ = fewer jobs.

Tags
alternate, attn, jersey, route, teachers