A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 04-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Companion

California
Substitute Teacher
LAUSD Interview Coming Up! Please HELP!!!

Hi everyone! I'm new here, and this is my first post....
I have an "eligibility interview" with LAUSD coming up next Friday (4/25), and I was wondering if anyone out there has ever had one of these and what types of questions I can expect. I guess it's the first interview applicants get with them, and I'm very nervous

Any info and suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks so much and I hope everyone out there is doing well!

Old 04-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Comrade

California
High School Teacher
janelle -

are you credentialed, or would you be going into the intern program? That might impact the types of questions you will be asked. But, in general, for an "eligibility interview" I would assume that they are screening to make sure that you are sincere in why you want to become a teacher, that you have the necessary paperwork or tests to ensure that you will be able to teach, and that you have a personality that is conducive to teaching.

What I would recommend is that you review some of the question/answer threads on this board, but definitely be prepared to answer questions like "why do you want to become a teacher?", "how would you handle classroom management", "tell me how you would relate and teach to kids from all backgrounds", etc.

Good luck!
Old 04-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Companion

California
Substitute Teacher
[QUOTE=UCLACareerChngr;607160]janelle -

are you credentialed, or would you be going into the intern program?

I'm credentialed (multiple subject). Thank you very much for the info!!! And thanks for wishing me luck, I'm gonna need it
Old 04-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Rookie

California
I agree that you will be asked some general questions such as "Why do you want to become a teacher?", but I also think that it is important to be prepared for more specific questions as well. I have gone through the interview process several times successfully, and in every single interview I have noticed that schools ask about how I interweave and/or use technology (beyond just computers) in the classroom. I have definitely been asked about classroom management (have a specific plan) as well. Another popular question is how you communicate with parents (in LAUSD that would be an important question, as you may not have extremely involved parents). It is also very important to know a lot about the school/district. There is almost always a point in interviews where they ask if you have any questions. This is not a time to say no. Ask about something which shows that you have a knowledge of the district. This will help to show that you know your stuff when it comes to education, because I am sure the district is going through a lot with budget cuts right now.

Good luck! Have fun with it. It will show.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Groupie

California
At the eligibility interview for Lausd I was only asked a few questions. I was asked why I chose teaching as a profession, when did I know that I wanted to teach, and what were my expectations going into teaching.
It wasn't like an interview at all. While I was answering the questions, the woman wasn't making eye contact with me. She was entering my information on the computer. Perhaps she had already decided that I was hired at that point. On the other hand, the interview I had at my school was completely different. There was a panel of 10 people. The questions were very specific.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Companion

California
Substitute Teacher
Business suit?

Thanks to all for the suggestions, they're really helping!!

One more thing I need help with: Since it's an eligibility interview and they may just be screening, do you think I should wear a full business suit, or would a simple professional looking top/cardigan and skirt be fine? I only have 1 or 2 suits and would want to save them for the 2nd or 3rd interview (assuming they'd ask me back). What do you think? I know first impressions really matter, so I'm thinking I should go with the suit just to be safe, but I'm not sure....
Old 04-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Comrade

California
High School Teacher
You probably won't interview with the same person again after this screening interview, so if you wear the same thing for following interviews no one will probably even notice.

I would always dress in my best clothes for every interview...keep in mind, they probably won't keep track of what you wear (in terms of "didn't she wear that outfit last time?") so I would always dress my best, even at the risk of repeating...as long as it's not back to back to back days they shouldn't be worried about you wearing the same thing anyway...
Old 04-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Companion

California
Substitute Teacher
Elementary or Middle School?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclalum View Post
On the other hand, the interview I had at my school was completely different. There was a panel of 10 people. The questions were very specific.

Wow, 10 people? How long ago was this? Was it for an elementary or middle/high school teaching position? Sorry, just curious... I'm planning to teach at the elementary level and am just wondering if I'll ever be interviewed by a panel of that many people. Wasn't it absolutely nerve-racking??? Were they intimidating?

As you can see, I'm a bit terrified of being interviewed
Old 04-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Comrade

California
High School Teacher
Have you done a lot of interviewing (for teaching or anything else)?

Panel interviews can definitely be intimidating, but just try to be as calm as possible and answer their questions sincerely and as clearly as possible. In my experience, the more practice you have the easier it becomes, so I would recommend that you try to do mock interviews, practice questions, have friends, family, whoever ask you questions and get practice that way. Obviously real interviews provide the best experience but you don't want to waste your chances...so practice as much as possible now.

I don't want to freak you out, but I honestly believe that the more you practice, the better you will be.

Also, keep in mind that the people who are interviewing WANT to fill the job. Sure, they might have someone "in mind" but these are all jobs that need to be filled...so they might as well be filled by YOU. You have to have the attitude that you deserve the job, without being cocky or arrogant. Basically you deserve the job because you are smart, have good ideas, know how to reach kids, and want to work really hard to achieve your goals.

Good luck, try not to be too nervous.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Groupie

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle View Post
Wow, 10 people? How long ago was this? Was it for an elementary or middle/high school teaching position? Sorry, just curious... I'm planning to teach at the elementary level and am just wondering if I'll ever be interviewed by a panel of that many people. Wasn't it absolutely nerve-racking??? Were they intimidating?

As you can see, I'm a bit terrified of being interviewed
It was in August of 2006. It was for an elementary position. The panel consisted of the principal, assistant principal, technology teacher, ELD coordinator, UTLA rep, and several teachers. The school where I did my student teaching also gives panel interviews. I think that it's pretty common- at least in ld 8 schools. Did you attend school here in Los Angeles?

Good Luck!

Tags
coming, interview, lausd