A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Second Grade

Old 04-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Novice

california
Big Smile 2nd grade interview tips?

Hi,

This is my first year of teaching and I'm actually teaching kindergarten at a private school, but hope to transfer to a public. A friend of mine told me there would be an opening for second grade at that school. I have never taught 2nd, so I'm wondering how I should prepare besides having a resume/cover letter and lesson plans (should I include kinder lesson plans or make some specifically for 2nd grade?).

I am not totally sure about classroom management systems for second grade. I tried using a card system for kinder, but I didn't really like it. I think I'd probably make management on an individual basis, but I don't know if this is practical for 2nd grade?

What are you opinions on this, or any tips would be fantastic!

Thank you! I always get such great advice on the forums!

Old 04-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Phenom

Arkansas, USA
2nd Grade All-Boy Teacher
I would include a lesson plan for both grade levels. Your managment system will also work with 2nd grade if you want to keep it. I would get a few ideas in your head so you know what to say for an interview. I do a stick system. It's kind of a individual system. Students pull sticks for any rule infractions. One stick is a warning; 2 equals 5 minutes off recess; 3 equals 10 minutes off recess; 4 equals whole recess and note home; 5 or more equals whole recess, note/call home, and conference with the vice principal. I have a bb dedicated to it :

The sticker charts take about 2 minutes to keep up with each morning. The students get excited when it's time to take home. When a new month starts, anyone who hasn't had a blue or red ticket (time off recess) the whole month gets into my Lunch Bunch (they eat with me in the classroom).
Old 04-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Novice

california
Hi Miss W, Thanks for the description and the picture of your system! It's a good idea.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Multitudinous

Texas
I too went from kinder to 2nd grade. I would focus on guided reading and centers. Those were two of the main questions I go in my interview for 2nd grade. Classroom management is another biggie. Good luck!
Old 04-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Novice

california
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngal View Post
I too went from kinder to 2nd grade. I would focus on guided reading and centers. Those were two of the main questions I go in my interview for 2nd grade. Classroom management is another biggie. Good luck!
Hi smalltowngal,

what is your classroom management system if you don't mind sharing?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Multitudinous

Texas
Last year I used a stoplight system where green was a good day, they received one verbal warning, then had to move their clip to yellow which meant a note home and 5 minutes out of recess. If they moved to red, they received a phone call home and a visit to the office.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Novice

Hi, I have been teaching second grade for two years and I think classroom management is a biggie. I use a money system. They get $5.00 each morning if they are here on time. They save their money to buy things such as a free homework pass, a stick of sugarfree gum to chew in my classroom only, sit by someone at lunch, etc. If they break a rule, I take a dollar from them. If they run out of money, they owe me recess time. If they forget to bring in homework, it is a dollar per page the first day, $10.00 per page the second day. They never have more than two pages a night. I charge $10.00 because a free homework pass is $10.00. If they don't turn it in after two days, they are buying the free pass. It works well for me. I can't take the credit though, it was my mentor teacher's idea.

Guided reading is a biggie. I just went to a conference yesterday by Cindy Merrilees on guided reading. It was really informative. I have also gone to a conference from Pat Pavelka. The one Pat gave was more about what you do with the other kids while you are at the table with the small group. The one with Cindy was about what you do at the table. The thing that I feel I learned the most was that you don't read to them and you don't have them do "round robin" you have them read outloud softly and you work individually with each student to determine strength and weaknesses. Then the next day or next session with that group, you give a mini lesson before moving on to the next book. It made a lot of sense and I can't wait to implement this into my reading hour.

I didn't have to have a lesson prepared for my interview, I just had the standard questions. Hope I have helped a little.

Cindy
Old 04-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
I personally don't care for visible behavior mgt systems (stoplights, card systems) Most teachers in my building do not use-

Try some ideas from:

"Love and Logic" (book by Fay and Funk)

"Cooperative Discipline" by Linda Albert
Old 04-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Multitudinous

Texas
I found that it didn't work for some of mine. Wish I had found out about Love&Logic last summer.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Companion

Primary Elementary Teacher
If you haven't already had your interview then be prepared to discuss hypothetical situations:
"If Johnny is late to class everyday and never turns his homework in what is the first thing you would do?"
Also, know your stuff on Balanced Literacy, Behavior management, PLC's, planning, how you go about planning for a school year, and assessing students in reading and writing.

Tags
2nd, grade, interview, tips