A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Fourth Grade

Old 04-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Rookie

Texas
4th Grade Teacher
Reward Ideas...

I am currently giving my students good behavior tickets which they may redeem at the end of the week. I was wondering if anyone else is doing this... and if so if they have any ideas for items that I could "sell" to them that would cost little or no money. I have pencils and pens (usually 5 to 10 tickets)... eat lunch in classroom for 15... was thinking about no homework pass?? Ideas are apprectiated.

Thanks...

Old 04-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Enthusiast

Midwest
I asked my kids what they would like that would not cost much money. Many of the things they have are specific to my school, but they can earn a bag of chips, homework pass, candy treat (fun size). I'm sure they can give you a ton of ideas.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Companion

I have the same type of system. They can buy a sweet treat, homework pass, treasure box and free computer time.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Rookie

We do a auction before all the holiday breaks. The kids love it. They bring in one or two items they want to auction off. It is amazing how much weird things go for. They always want to save and earn money. They do not get to participate unless they have at least $10. We have 3 classes participating so there are lots of items and they keep begging for the next one. The great thing is that it doesn't cost me anything. I have a class store with lots but they all are saving.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
I love Teal's idea! We sell ice cream passes in the cafeteria and I always put a few of them in my treasure box for kids to earn. One thing that you can do with an older class is to let them come up with the ideas. Have a short brainstorm session and list the ideas on the board. You can explain that they have to cost little or no money and you can veto anything you don't agree with. You might be surprised what they come up with and you will know that they will like it.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Enthusiast

Midwest
I like teals idea, too. We did that when I was in the 6th grade. It was always a lot of fun. And my teachers tied it in to a Middle Ages unit. What class you were depended on how many bucks you had left. I had lots of money, so I was in the noble class.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Fanatic

Kansas
gumball from the gumball machine.

Items from Oriental Trading.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Rookie

Florida
2nd Grade Teacher
An idea I recently read is to allow the students to go to the teachers' lounge and get a soda from the machine or a snack. It would depend on factors of your school, but that would be a reward in itself, just to go up there!
Old 04-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Newcomer

north carolina
4th Grade Teacher
I also use tickets and have a menu of prizes to choose from. My class this year has enjoyed the following prizes:candy - 5 tickets, prize box or homework pass - 10 tickets, lunch in the room or sit with a friend - 15 tickets,and sit at the teacher desk( which means getting to also sit on the cushioned,twirly chair )-20 tickets. In the beginning of the year I asked parents for donations of prize box items as well as candy and the parents responded very generously so that I've not had to spend much money of my own. More often than not my students will use tickets for the nontangible rewards.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Newcomer

Lacon, IL
Early Childhood Teacher
In one of my clinicals, my teacher used this same system. I remember one reward was to each lunch with the teacher, one was to move their desk next to a friend (those two were the BIG ones). The small prizes (for 5 tickets, I think) was to pick stuff out of a treasure box. It basically was stuff from Oriental Trading...pencils, Tootsie Roll Pops were the BIG hit (teacher's rule was it couldn't leave her classroom), etc.

Tags
ideas, reward