A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 04-06-2008, 12:54 AM
Novice

California
Kindergarten Teacher
Decorating a classroom with no bulletin boards??

Hi, I just saw the classroom that I'll be teaching in next year and found out that the walls are not the "bulletin board" type that you can put pins in. I had planned on covering the walls with different fabrics and borders to create my bulletin boards, but now I'm not sure what to do. I don't really want to use just the small bulletin boards. I like to use the complete walls for color and displays. Maybe I can put up fabrics and then use tacky stuff to put the displays up, or put cork up on the walls first. Any suggestions????

Old 04-06-2008, 02:38 AM
Phenom

College admin.
This will be of absolutely no help to you, but if I got a classroom like this, I would thank my lucky stars! I HATE bulletin boards!

Sorry, I am of no help. Can you paint on the walls?

Old 04-06-2008, 07:01 AM
Habitué

Tennessee
6th Grade Teacher
I had a classroom with no BB for awhile. I bought a special paint that has metal in it which makes magnets stick to it. It isn't cheap and it is an ugly gray color but I painted over it with the room color paint. It worked well for hanging things with magnets. I put magnets on the back of BB border to outline the area.
You might also find a large BB cheap at Staples in the clearance section. I also found a large foam core board on clearance for $5.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Companion

SC
1st Grade Teacher
I had a classroom like that, but I just picked where I wanted to make a bb and I put the paper up and border around it and made the bulletin board. I really liked it bc I could reaarange my room and put the bb anywhere.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
Personally I hate all the time that goes into decorating BB. If you want to display your papers or projects you can go about it in a variety of different ways. For example, you can buy a strip that adheres to the wall and it is a small corkboard (1/2 in high) for you to post things on (hanging from it). You can use a paper clip and hang it from the ceiling if you have tiles. You can hang some laundry string from one side to another and clip papers with clothes pins. You can stick some on your cabinets. That's where our word wall is.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Connoisseur

Ohio
Before you put any sort of covering on anything (cork, fabric, whatever) check the fire codes first. They can be pretty strict sometimes.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Comrade

What material are the walls made of? If they are painted cinder block, you can hot glue fabric to the walls for bulletin boards! It won't ruin the walls if you do. However, if they are plaster or drywall, it will peel away the top layer of wall if you do it. If that is the case, you could staple fabric at the top and bottom to the wall and then attach things to it with hot glue or even staples. That's what I do on our hallway since we don't have hallway bulletin boards.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:10 PM
Devotee

2nd Grade Teacher
I have no bulletin boards and I LOVE IT! If I want to display student work I hang it from the wires strung across the room or display it on the walls outside of my classroom. Each child has a cubby and above the cubby is a cabinet for storage. Each student can hang papers on the cabinet door if they wish.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Groupie

3rd Grade Teacher
You could attach strong fishing line to make a clothes line-type thing to hang student work on. I hang a lot of student work from the ceiling. I use string with a clip on the end.

I would love to do this!: You take house siding and attach it to the wall to display books and student work.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Fanatic

Kansas
Use the side of your file cabinet for a BB.

The back of a bookcase.

Your door.

Your windows.

The front of your desk.

Tags
boards, bulletin, classroom, decorating