A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-28-2008, 06:48 AM
Grace12_34 Grace12_34 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9
New York
NYS certified in social studies
NYC DOE SubCentral

I just registered here at this site. I noticed there was a thread on SubCentral back in November, but no postings since. I believe things have deteriorated at SubCentral since the system began and since November. In the beginning, it was all very nice. We could go online and look for assignments that appealed to us or cancel assignments. It is now at the point where substitute teachers cannot search online for an assignment or go online to cancel assignments. If we want to cancel an assignment, we have to CALL the school directly. We are solely at the mercy of a nameless, faceless computer. For example, last night, the computer called me about three assignments that I could not accept because of either the time or the location. This morning, I was not called at all. Working for the DOE is becoming more and more like being in a fascist state!!
Reply With Quote

 
  #2  
Old 05-23-2008, 06:42 AM
computerman1002 computerman1002 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12
NY, NY
Substitute Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace12_34 View Post
I just registered here at this site. I noticed there was a thread on SubCentral back in November, but no postings since. I believe things have deteriorated at SubCentral since the system began and since November. In the beginning, it was all very nice. We could go online and look for assignments that appealed to us or cancel assignments. It is now at the point where substitute teachers cannot search online for an assignment or go online to cancel assignments. If we want to cancel an assignment, we have to CALL the school directly. We are solely at the mercy of a nameless, faceless computer. For example, last night, the computer called me about three assignments that I could not accept because of either the time or the location. This morning, I was not called at all. Working for the DOE is becoming more and more like being in a fascist state!!
Not has Sub Central deteriorated, but I have gotten calls while online at Sub Central, and when I do a seach nothing shows up (even though I am being offered a position on the phone). When I have called Sub Central Help, they tell me that you cannot search for job offers during call out hours. Then what is the purpose of having the search option at the on line Sub Central.

Also, I have spoken to many payroll secretaries and Assistant Principals who deal with calling in Substitutes and they all say the same thing, that they have constant problems with sub Central.

Also, you can have negative feed backs from Schools you have subsituted at, and you have no idea what the feedback is. Even the UFT says they are powerless, they can't even look at teacher's feedback. Regular teachers, when they get evaluated, they have to sign the evaluation and have the option in filing a grievance/protest,, Not so for substitute teachers.

I have more than 10 yrs full time teaching experience in the NYC school system. In many subtitute teaching assignments, I usually get observed by the principal, and in each case they tell me I do an excellent job and they can tell I am an EXPERIENCED teacher. Yet I can go almsot an entire month and no work.

If this continues, I will be forced to leave the NYC teaching system. Seem Mayor Bloomburg's changes have made the NYC school system worse, not better. It is now about test scorse and not about education. Typical Business man attitude, all they are concerned with are the bottom line and NUMBERS.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-23-2008, 06:45 AM
BioAngel's Avatar
BioAngel BioAngel is offline
Aficionado
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,260
Upper Elementary Teacher
Geez--- I have my teaching license from NY state and I know their system is a little messed up... I didn't know they made it this hard for subs. Sorry you're both going through this... you would think that state could come up with a decent system for both sides to use
__________________
7th Year as a Science Teacher to Elementary Kiddos
“The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.”
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-24-2008, 01:10 AM
Grace12_34 Grace12_34 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9
New York
NYS certified in social studies
NYC DOE SubCentral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioAngel View Post
Geez--- I have my teaching license from NY state and I know their system is a little messed up... I didn't know they made it this hard for subs. Sorry you're both going through this... you would think that state could come up with a decent system for both sides to use
BioAngel, having a teaching license from New York State has nothing to do with it. I am New York State certified to teach social studies (7-12), and I have a master's degree in secondary education. I am fed up with New York City's SubCentral and substituting IN GENERAL. It's supposed to be easier to find a regular position by substituting, but I don't think that is the case. The system needs babysitters on a more or less daily basis. The geniuses in the DOE have now implemented a "New Teacher Finder" where teachers are hired by filing an application online. Hopefully, I will be able to land a position for the 2008-2009 school year. Otherwise, I will have to just go do something else. I became certified in 2006, and I completed my master's in 2004. Years are beginning to pass now, and I still don't have a job.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-24-2008, 01:18 AM
Grace12_34 Grace12_34 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9
New York
NYS certified in social studies
NYC DOE SubCentral

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerman1002 View Post
Not has Sub Central deteriorated, but I have gotten calls while online at Sub Central, and when I do a seach nothing shows up (even though I am being offered a position on the phone). When I have called Sub Central Help, they tell me that you cannot search for job offers during call out hours. Then what is the purpose of having the search option at the on line Sub Central.

Also, I have spoken to many payroll secretaries and Assistant Principals who deal with calling in Substitutes and they all say the same thing, that they have constant problems with sub Central.

Also, you can have negative feed backs from Schools you have subsituted at, and you have no idea what the feedback is. Even the UFT says they are powerless, they can't even look at teacher's feedback. Regular teachers, when they get evaluated, they have to sign the evaluation and have the option in filing a grievance/protest,, Not so for substitute teachers.

I have more than 10 yrs full time teaching experience in the NYC school system. In many subtitute teaching assignments, I usually get observed by the principal, and in each case they tell me I do an excellent job and they can tell I am an EXPERIENCED teacher. Yet I can go almsot an entire month and no work.

If this continues, I will be forced to leave the NYC teaching system. Seem Mayor Bloomburg's changes have made the NYC school system worse, not better. It is now about test scorse and not about education. Typical Business man attitude, all they are concerned with are the bottom line and NUMBERS.
I refuse to do any more substituting.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-24-2008, 04:19 AM
lemonhead's Avatar
lemonhead lemonhead is offline
Phenom
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,129
Have you tried marketing yourself? I think that really helps. I've been able to stay very busy just by putting business cards in teacher mailboxes at the beginning of the school year. Before you leave each day as the secretary if they need anyone for the next day.

My district used to have SubCentral and now we have something called AesopOnline. I rarely ever use it because people usually just call me and ask me to sub then they put it in and the system won't call me. I do think that sub jobs have gone down a little in the last month. I have been averaging 4 days a week I think for the past 30 days, some by choice
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-27-2008, 08:15 AM
computerman1002 computerman1002 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12
NY, NY
Substitute Teacher
SUB CENTRAL NOW USING ATR

I have been doing some research on the web concerning Per diem substitute teachers and what would be the reason for the so many of us not getting called for day to day positions. It seems that schools are now using ATR (Absent Teacher Reserve) in place of per diem subs.

The ATR are teachers who have been excessed either because their school has closed or their school has been downsized. These are experienced teachers who still get paid and get benefits. These excessed teachers ar supposed to be used before calling in per diem substate teachers at Sub Central.

There is a big "hallabalu" going on between the UFT and the DOE about these ATR's. It seems that now, that Principals have the power to hire, they also are responsible for their school budgets as well. In other words, if a Principal hires an experienced teacher making 75k, instead of a new teacher at 49k, the Principal will have 26k less in his school budget.

Also, our "glorious" Mayor Bloomberg took over the Board of Education (now the DOE) saying that by doing so he would improve the level of education in our schools. It seems the only things that Mayor Bloomberg did, was put nepotism and age discrimination in the Dept. of Education. Now, it seems, the only way you can get a position in a decent school is if you know a Principal personally (i.e. friend of the family or even a relative).

Who would have thought that NYC DOE would ever discriminate because of age and experience.

The bottom line is, it seems there is no future in substitute teaching while teachers in the ATR are not appointed to other schools.

As I said previously, I taught full time from 1970 - 1980 and only left the system because of budget cuts. I had left the school system because I got tired of waiting at the beginning of each school year wondering if I would be re-assigned to teach. Back then appointment was totally out of the question. I was appointed but due to a technical snafu, (I had taken an alternate A exam instead of an Alternate B, since they weren't given any alternate B exams for over 5 yrs). (Alternate A were for those who were still in college and alternate B were for those who have graduated already). I lost my appointment on a technicality, if the city wasn't having financial problems I would have never been cut because I had taken an Alternate A exam.

Back in the 1970's, to get a position in a good school, it helped to know someone at the Board of Education or at the District level on the Local School Board. The same thing applied when it came time to keep your position and not get excessed. Seems that while many things have changed in the Dept of Ed. some things never change, they just give it a different name or title!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Grace12_34 Grace12_34 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9
New York
NYS certified in social studies
A World Outside of SubCentral

It is also very interesting to note that some schools are actually advertising at Craigslist for substitute teachers. In addition, a company called "Penda Aiken" at 330 Livingston Street is recruiting certified teachers and substitute teachers to teach in charter schools. Their phone number is (718) 643-4880. I scheduled an interview because I am looking for a regular full-time position. As I mentioned before, I am fed up with the substituting. I think we ae going to see more and more schools doing this, so one would do well to keep one's eyes peeled!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-11-2008, 02:11 PM
computerman1002 computerman1002 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12
NY, NY
Substitute Teacher
Grace12_34 let us know how it turns out.

A good portion of new teachers who teach in Charters schools "burn out" or some resign within their first or second year teaching.

I just finished an assignment in an IS School in East Harlem. In one of the classes I covered, the kids literally boasted that they made their new teacher resign.

Most of the teachers there are fairly new (1-3 yrs of teaching). In the Teacher's lounge, during lunch, I had asked one of the teachers who had more than 10 yrs teaching experience, if what the students told me was true. She sadly said "yes". She added that a good portion of the teachers who were hired under NYC DOE Fellows program or "NYC Teach" usually don't make it beyond the first or second year of teaching, especially in the Charter schools. Several in that school, where I was substituting, had resigned by May 2008.

Even the 6th Graders "mouth off" to the teachers, especially if the teachers are new or are substitutes, with totally impunity. I had that same class again, after lunch. One or two of the girls, the girls are worse than the boys, tried that on me. I immediately called security, since they blantantly refused to go to the AP's office on their own, and had the 2 girls removed to the AP's office. Unlike their teacher who resigned, I called the two girls' parents, with the AP standing there and informed them that they were being kept after school and that they had to come and pick them up. Needless to say, after that, the rest of the class settled down since they realized I meant business. I was not about to hand over the class to a group of 6th graders who were still gloating over the fact that they "forced a new teacher to resign.

I had informed them, that they only had about 2 weeks of school left, and if they continued acting up, I would do the same to every student in that class. I even went out on a limb and told them that I would recommend that they would be forced to go to summer school if they wanted to move on to the 7th grade. Fortunately, the AP agreed with me in front of the class.

The AP told me at the end of the day, that if the teacher who had resigned had done the same thing, she probably would still be there. Unfortunately, new teachers hired under the Fellows and NYC Teach are really not prepared to deal with students in the schools they are sent to, which are usually the schools with the most behavioral and learning problems.

Anyway, Grace, let us all know how it turns out and lots of luck to you! I hope you find a full time position.

May I offer you a bit of advice?! When you first start teaching a class, you can always be initially come off as a mean nasty teacher with very strick rules and as time passes mellow out and be nice to the students! On the other hand, if you initially come off as nice friendly buddy type of teacher, you can't go back and be the nasty, harsh tough teacher! Every student will try and get away with as much as they can, if they feel they can walk all over a teacher. Once they do, you will loose all respect! You will have an up hill battle from that point on trying to gain control of that class.

Agan, lots of luck, and keep us posted!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
doe, nyc, subcentral

Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




Mr. Rebates

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:52 AM.


Copyright © 1997-2010 A to Z Teacher Stuff, L.L.C.  All Rights Reserved.
Use of this site signifies your agreement to the terms of use.
Questions, comments, and suggestions: Contact Us
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.