A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > First Grade

Old 03-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Novice

Toronto, ON
1st Grade Teacher
visualizing

I have been reading Debbie Millers book, and I was wondering if anyone had any lessons or ideas for making mental images. I find some of the books she reccomends a little to high for my kids.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Connoisseur

New York
Reading Teacher
I've used The Napping House.
Worked great!!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Novice

Toronto, ON
1st Grade Teacher
Could you tell me a little bit more about your lesson. This is my first year and I feel confidant teaching connections, but not visualizing.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Phenom

I haven't read Miller's book, but I know that we tell the kids to pretend that they are watching a movie in their heads when they visualize.

Do you think that reading somethig to them and then having them illustrate and explain may be a good lesson? Not all pictures will be the same and that could be an interesting way to diverge.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Connoisseur

New York
Reading Teacher
Miss Frizzle, you're right. The lesson I did was actually from Debbie Miller's book on teaching mental images. What I did was re-create a graphic organizer that was shown in her book to fit the book The Napping House. It was like a separated in half and on the left side it said "My mental image..." and on the right side it said "My mental image now...". I did not show the illustrations as I read the book. As I read the book, I had them "make a movie in their minds" and I stopped of course to do think alouds. In the middle of the book I had them create their mental image in their minds, create a snapshot then illustrate their mental image on the left side. I had them "turn & talk" about their mental images to compare them with their partners then I kept reading. At the end of the book, the setting changes and the night turns to day. I had the students illustrate their mental images now, and they compared them with their partners. I wanted to see if they could visualize how the scene changed from night to day and how everyone is waking up in the napping house. It was funny because as we went through the illustrations in the book in the end to see if our mental images were accurate, some of the kids' illustrations showed exactly how the illustrations were in the book! It was alot of fun and they got it.

The main concept is to teach them to "make a movie in their minds" as they are reading because some chapter books they may come across will not have picture support so they will have to keep up with what's happening. Does the setting change?? Does the scene change?? Are the characters changing?? etc.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Connoisseur

Just curious...which Debbie Miller book are you all referring to? I think that she has a few out there!

Young, did you do any other lesson in "making movies" before reading a story and using the organizer?
Old 03-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Connoisseur

New York
Reading Teacher
Oh Yes!! Teaching visualization or mental images isn't something you can just teach in one minilesson and then hand them over a graphic organizer and say, now sketch it. It would never work. Luckily my school uses the Lucy Calkins Columbia Teacher's College Reading & Writing Project so our kids are exposed to and have worked with mental images since 1st grade and we really get into it in 2nd. I didn't do this lesson until we've had minilesson after minilesson on how to make a movie in our minds. You have to teach them how to visualize when the characters change, when the setting changes, when the scene changes etc. There's alot to it. But the book helped to put the icing on the cake!!
By the way the book is Reading With Meaning.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:15 AM
Fanatic

Arizona
2nd Grade Teacher
I use Debbie Miller's book and I read all of those books that she used in my class. The ones I remember are

Night Sounds, Morning Colors
The Napping House
The Salamander Room
Greyling
The Zoo at Night
I can't remember what else from that book!

I also used Chicken Soup with Rice (we made a class book) and Hello Ocean (for sensory images).
Old 03-24-2008, 08:13 AM
Comrade

Try reading the words of a picture book 3 times. Have them close their eyes. Then give time a 1 minute quick sketch in their reading journal (or white paper). Then show them the illustrator's picture and discuss. Repeat.

It's a good time to point out how our "schema" is different and everyone's visualization is correct if it is similar. You can also bring up connections... "this reminds me of...."

When they begin books with little illustrations, this will help them comprehend and interpret author's words.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Fanatic

Connecticut
3rd Grade Teacher
Great ideas!!! Another thing I do is to have the children sketch their own picture and then talk to a buddy about what they decided to include in their picture. I then have the kids listen to the passage again and draw a new picture based on their conversation with their buddy. It was sooo cool to see how their images changed based on the schema of their buddy.

Tags
visualizing