A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 03-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Groupie

MI
Social Studies/History
Exit Tickets

One of the things I am expected to do (but almost no one else's evals depends on doing it) is to do some sort of summary activity at the end of class to determine levels of understanding. Okay, fine, but the options I was given are thumbs up/down, response cards, exit tickets, sentence starters, etc. None of which is going over well with alternative ed high school students (many are 18-20) So really, how they heck am I to give the principal what she wants when the kids hate me for trying?

Maybe it is because I have only just heard of them and all the research I have seen says to collect the tickets as the kids leave the room and bring up questions at the start of the next class. Well i was told that is absolutly unacceptable to do it that way. But, the only option I was given was to collect them and review them before the kids leave. That would take like 10 mintues and I am only to spend 2-3 minutes on this.

Can someone please explain how they are supposed to be done. I have given up on opportunities to observe the teachers I need to so I can figure out what they want from me.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Aficionado

Not really the same thing, but I give my kids an exit ticket (I call it ticket to lunch, or ticket to recess) quite often and it does take 2-4 minutes.

Examples, and I don't know how it will work with your kids b/c my students are 8, 9 and 10 years old.

Math- solving a problem (like a math fact, or something having to do with the day's lesson)

Language Arts- words in a part of speech (give me an adverb before leaving)

I could see with geography you could do something like: Name a natural resource that could be important to a country's economy or something- they would name, iron, salt or something. I try to get each kid their own question, but sometimes they say the same things... I gotta let it slide sometimes.

I give the question, give them a moment to think, then they share it as they leave. You can do it as they walk out, in which case the others don't hear- or go around the room.

You can also do agree/disagree if the discussion warrants it and get a thumbs up/down for that. I also check in sometimes just to see if anyone feels overly challenged. I will ask if everything feels alright, give a thumbs up, or if they think they still need help, a thumbs down. My kids have taken to doing a so-so with their hand as well. I can make a note of that to see who needs some reteaching.

I also do some self-reflection and may simply ask for a word to describe how they are feeling about the material. In these cases, I don't let everyone say "good." I tell them that once a person has used a word, it's done and they have to use a synonym.

I think it would be a waste of time to check it each day before they leave! But if you have to, keep it oral and just make a note with a check or a minus in your book.

You can also do something like a little quiz. Give them a multiple choice question with 3 answers, 1, 2, 3. Give them a moment, ask them to close their eyes and hold up their fingers. Mentally take note of who gives the wrong answer. You can also do it with no eyes closed - if you're quick or have your eyes on the kids who you think may not have got it for a quick check.

To be fair, since these are silly and will seem a bit dumb to them (of course it sounds like all the teachers have to do it) give them a point a day for their exit ticket. Add those points as one assignment grade for the semester.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Phenom

College admin.
I like using a 3-2-1. It's similar to a K-W-L in a way. I have a small form that has 3, 2, 1 on it. They jot down 3 things they learned that day, 2 questions they might have, and 1 prediction for tomorrow's lesson. You can modify this any way you want. It is really fast and easy.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:04 AM
Connoisseur

Illinois
7th Grade LA
wldy,
See if you can get your hands on Content Area Writing: Every Teacher's Guide by Harvey Daniels et al. Exit tickets are that: out the door. But there are other FAST little writing assignments that you can have the kids do that you can stand there and review. Does your principal say you can't collect them as the kids walk out the door? If you show her the suggested procedures might she change her mind? Maybe if you can find the book you could show her some of the other "writing to learn" activities and ask her which ones she would like to see. I know your timeline is short so I don't know if these suggestions will work.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:43 AM
Multitudinous

Ontario, Canada
Grade 7
I've done Exit Tickets orally--as the students leave the room they need to tell me the answer to a question, tell me one thing they learned that day, give a definition, etc. It only takes a minute.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:16 AM
Multitudinous

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcjo13 View Post
I like using a 3-2-1. It's similar to a K-W-L in a way. I have a small form that has 3, 2, 1 on it. They jot down 3 things they learned that day, 2 questions they might have, and 1 prediction for tomorrow's lesson. You can modify this any way you want. It is really fast and easy.
I love this idea, kcjo. I'm going to use it next year.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Habitué

Fifth Grade American History
Wldy,
These are a couple of short ones as I use them:

Fist of five - kids rate their understanding of something from zero (a fist) to five (palm open, fingers splayed). At the end of the period (if there is only one or two) or as we finish them (if there are more) I ask the kids to rate their understanding by showing me with the "fist of five"

Thums up/thumbs down - the same way - as we review the objective they give me a thumbs up if they've got it, a thumbs down if they don't

Count down closes - I ask for five things they've learned from the lesson. I call on five kids, one at a time, to give me one thing and we count it down - 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

I actually don't like exit slips because I'm lousy with lil bits of paper. I do use response cards, but not as closures.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Groupie

Pennsylvania
I use exit slips as well - written only but I might try them orally. They can deal with something simple or a major concept. At my school, We plan each lesson around an essential question so frequently that is my question out the door. They truly can't leave without an answer so they may need to check a book if they can't remember or you can help verbally if there are only a couple students left in the room.
I would rethink your concern about whether the students will want to do it or will like to do it. At this point, you need to follow the instructions of your administration. I'm sure there are not a lot of things your students really want to do but you're in charge.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Fanatic

Northwest
Preschool Teacher
What about if you offer them extra credit points if they participate in the exit question -like 2 points a day - tell them it is a limited time offer but could tip their grade up. Yes bribe them. Or use some other bribe. Something they really like that they can earn just by participating in this one thing. Earn points toward a homework pass? Earn points toward a free Coke to drink during class? A candy bar on the way out? It would get the group behind you and being helpful. And it would be your little secret! And, there is not that much school left. And, if you are not observed everyday, you could make a game out of it and do the exit ticket thing only every couple days, or every other day, but always on the day when the principal is there.

I hope this doesn't sound devious. I mean, you have one of the toughest groups of people to teach and motivate! And a principal who, from what you have said, is plain ridiculous. Sounds like she either doesn't understand education, is getting pressure from somewhere else, or just wants to get rid of you - which I do not think is the case, since everyone is getting these ridiculous standards to meet.

I am not advocating being devious. But you have got to fight with the tools you have. Get an exit procedure in place, do it every other day or so, and get it set up quick so the kids know there is something in it for them.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:47 AM
Novice

New Jersey
3rd Grade Teacher
Love it!

The 3-2-1 idea is great! In my school we have to assess if we taught to our goal and ask the kids what they learned. Your idea is a sure winner! Thanks for the idea!

Tags
exit, tickets