A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Sixth Grade

Old 03-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Newcomer

Field Trip Ideas

I live in CA and I need some field trip ideas for my 6th graders. Normally, our district allows 6th graders to attend camp for a week but due to some unwanted incident our school no longer attends. So, I need other great ideas for field trips to compensate for the fact that they can't go away for a week. Any suggestions?

Old 03-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
First figure out why they can't go. Is it because they can't leave for a week or is it because that destination is invalid for some reason now. Also, was that trip tied into your unit before?

The reason I ask is because you could do your own camping trip thing and tie it into your curriculum. You could even still do it while going to school during the day. Kids would go into overtime for that.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
Old 03-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Newcomer

Illinois
6th Grade Teacher
The fieldtrip our kids loved the most, which had to be eliminated due to cost was our trip to Medieval Times. Ties in perfectly with most sixth grade curriculum because of SS.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Groupie

California
How about a natural history museum? Atrip to a river to look at watershed. Beaches? Parks to look at rock formations?
Old 03-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Companion

California
You don't say where in CA you are--it's a long state. The Monterrey Bay Aquarium is fantastic, and v. educational. Sharks, jellyfish, sea anemones, an octopus, kelp 3 stories high, cuttle fish, "sea dragon", and baby otters--what more could you want ? Admission is $13.95 per student, which is a bit steep, but it is wonderful. No, I don't work for them LOL, we were just there (as a family). There is also tidepooling and CA history in Monterrey.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:51 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Fantastic resource: Fun and Educational Places to Go with Kids and Adults in Southern California by Susan Peterson, and now up to its seventh edition (I think). See http://www.funplaces.com, and there's a list of links at http://www.funplaces.com/links.htm. Most Auto Club offices carry this book.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Novice

California
Middle School Teacher
You might also consider taking them to one of our state's natural caverns in central California. There is Boyden Caverns, Mercer Caverns, and a few others I can't think of on the top of my head. Goes with the rock cycle in science.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Comrade

California
If you are in the Bay Area - there is the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco (Chinese brush painting and Japanese teas are two activities they do - there are more). There is the Rosicrucian museum in San Jose (Egyptian).

Not knowing where you are... these are the two I am looking into working in Belmont teaching 6th .

Tags
field, ideas, trip