A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 03-10-2008, 07:38 AM
Newcomer

Greatest weakness? please help.

Hi, I'm going for a teaching/grad school interview soon. I have no idea what type of questions they are going to ask because the program is for people who have never taught before. If they do ask the question, what is your greatest weakness? Are there any answers they really don't want? I'll think of some honest answers today and maybe i can get some feedback. THANKS!!

Last edited by galenaCO; 03-10-2008 at 04:48 PM. Reason: updating

Old 03-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Phenom

You should be able to turn a weakeness into a strength. Does that make any sense? Perhaps you are very driven- you won't stop until you succeed. Some may see that as a weakeness, but it is also a strength.

I wouldn't say I'm a procrastinator. Somehow, I don't see there being a way to flip that into a strength.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Multitudinous

Texas
Your answer should be something that has been a challenge for you in the past, and something that you've tried to improve on. Honesty is important because principals will be able to tell if you aren't honest with your answer. You need to be able to turn this negative weakness into a strength. Some things I would avoid are "I'm a perfectionist" or anything with classroom management.

My weakness is organization. And I'm trying to rectify that by utilizing organizational storage. I prioritze lessons by how they will benefit student learning. And I have to realize that I can't do everything I would like to.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
We've never asked that question on my interviewing committee...It's kind of a gotcha question, don't you think? I think answering that classroom mgt is a weakness is problematic...can you think of something else?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Groupie

3rd Grade Teacher
I agree with everyone else. TURN YOUR WEAKNESS INTO A POSITIVE. I had a planned answer last year. I was never asked, but I was always ready. Since I was a new teacher my weakness was that I was a new teacher. I didn't have the experience of a veteran teacher. BUT, since I'm new I'm driven. I'm excited to teach. I'm eager to come in early and stay late. I'll use that line this year when I interview, since I'll have finished my first year, but I'm still new.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Newcomer

thanks

thanks everyone for all your help. cmcd... that should have been obvious to me, i know that new teachers will have their struggles and i'm only a little nervous about what will happen my first year of teaching, but thats great. i love this forum!!! it helps me realize things i've pondered but never quite been able to put my finger on!
Old 03-11-2008, 05:44 AM
Phenom

Okay so this is an interview to get in a teaching program correct?

Picking a teaching specific weakness won't work.

If you don't like speaking in front of a group of people, use the one Jaime had.

It was something like "I tend to get nervous when speaking in front of a large group of my peers until I get to know them better." Then you can go on to say how you have no trouble in front of childrem, family or friends and you are trying to improve.

sorry, it's early
Old 01-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Rookie

I have the same problem. I have to write an essay for graduate school about my strengths and weaknesses, but I'm not sure what to put. I was thinking about saying what my weakness was when I first started teaching and then explaining how I over came it.

My weakness was communicating negative feedback to parents out of fear that I would hurt the important relationship that parents and teacher must maintain. I overcame this weakness by ...............
Old 01-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4994 View Post
I have the same problem. I have to write an essay for graduate school about my strengths and weaknesses, but I'm not sure what to put. I was thinking about saying what my weakness was when I first started teaching and then explaining how I over came it.

My weakness was communicating negative feedback to parents out of fear that I would hurt the important relationship that parents and teacher must maintain. I overcame this weakness by ...............
I'm not a big believer in telling them what I think they want to hear.

I would answer the question honestly, but with a serious eye on how I'm working on that weakness. I would hope that all of us, upon realizing that we have a weakness, would work on fixing it, right???

When I last interviewed (as a math teacher, with the possilbility of teaching Pre-Calc or Calc) I said that my greatest weakness is my total lack of knowledge of graphing calculators. And that, if hired, I would have to hire my teenage babysitter to tutor me on how to use one.

So, between you and me and the world wide web, what is your greatest weakness as a teacher? Not when you first started, but now?

We'll find a way to make it both truthful and appealing.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Rookie

Parent interaction is still a weakness for me, but not as much as before. Now it's more because I get frustrated with parents. (not openly to them, but inwardly) Some don't seem to care about the work we are doing with the children in school or make an effort to support it at home.

I get really frustrated with that. I think that's my biggest weakness. I know they are busy and they don't want to deal with arguing with a crying child when they get out of work but it is maddening sometimes.

I teach preschool right now.I told one parent that her daughter bit another child. The next day I found out that they went to the toy store the night before and she got a new baby doll. I've also talked to parents about the importance of working on something at home (such as letter recognition) only to find out that they were doing nothing.

I don't want to seem like I'm complaining about or blaming the parents in my essay though. So I'm not sure what to write.

I need to find a way to communicate the importance of working together to parents, but you can't force them to do it. I'm not even sure if that would count as a weakness.

I'm just stumped on this one.

Tags
greatest, weakness