A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 02-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Novice

Juneau, AK
Teaching days of the week & months

Does anyone have some good ideas for this? We sing a song for each everyday, but it doesn't seem to be clicking for some of my students.

Thanks.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Companion

Pennsylvania
Kindergarten Teacher
This is the time of the year where it should be sinking in. Do you have any visuals to go with the song? I taught my days of the week song at the beginning of the year and had students "act it out" by standing up and bending down when the day of the week they were portraying was sung. The next week we started singing the song and pairing up the days of the week with the words for each day. Soon they will be able to look at the letters and use their alphabetic principle to figure out what the day is, without having to sing the song. At this point in the year, after talking about it every school day, I would say about 90% of my students are proficient in their days of the week knowledge. I don't really focus on memorizing the months in my class.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Novice

Ohio
Kindergarten Teacher
Dr. Jean has some great songs. "Days of the week" and "Macarena Months." I use a velcro board with "Yesterday was___, today is____, tomorrow will be____" and we read it every day.

Time is a really abstract concept for kindergarteners so don't get discouraged!
Old 03-15-2008, 06:14 AM
Novice

NJ
Kindergarten Teacher
In addition to the songs, we did activities using the book Cookie's Week.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:55 AM

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I teach days of the week using the Calendar. Along with songs.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Comrade

California
6th Grade Language Arts
I used Eric Carle's Today is Monday and Seven Blind Mice by Ed Young.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by soozabelle View Post
Dr. Jean has some great songs. "Days of the week" and "Macarena Months." I use a velcro board with "Yesterday was___, today is____, tomorrow will be____" and we read it every day.
I do the same thing as above. I also have posters with the days and the months. I choose a student to hold the pointer and point to the days of the week and the months of the year while the hole class says them, then we sing the songs. I also demonstrate looking at the top of the calendar to see the month and days and what day it is today/yesterday/tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Companion

MI
Parapro
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlea View Post
I used Eric Carle's Today is Monday and Seven Blind Mice by Ed Young.
Did you do an activity with seven blind mice? I actually brought that book home this weekend trying to think of an activity to go along with it to teach the week words.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Rookie

I LOVE the book Cookie's Week by Cindy Ward. I also like Today Is Monday by Eric Carle.

I have found that singing a song every day ultimately works best to teach the days. But, you have to have the students identify the days using "Yesterday was..." "Today is..." "Tomorrow will be..." frames, and have them do this every single day. They eventually learn how to use their alphabetic knowledge to identify the words (except for Thursday, which is a great way to introduce the 'th' digraph). Also, I found that instead of listing it like this:

Today is...
Yesterday was...
Tomorrow will be...

I list it horizontally, with the days of the week written in the same format as the calendar. I just move cards that say "Today is..." etc to the right every day, and the kids eventually understand the time concepts involved.

If none of this works, I think the only way to do it is to chant it over and over and over!
Old 03-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Comrade

So. California
I do a lot of the activities listed above. I think my students are really good at days of the week because my class is an afternoon class. We have a different schedule each day of the week. It drove me crazy at the beginning of year, but now it is paying off.

In the beginning of each month, I give the students a copy of a calendar page. Whole class, I give them directions of what to do. Circle the month. Underline the year. Color the days of the week blue. Draw a heart on the last day of the month, etc. Fill in the missing numbers, etc. I make it up each month.

I recently made math journals specifically for calendar. In February, the students would run up to me and tell me, "I know what the date is today." (or something of the sort). I started to feel stifled with all of them trying to tell me the date as soon as we arrived in the classroom. To avoid this feeling at the beginning of my day, I created math "journals" so they can secretly tell me this information. They write sentences like, "Today is Monday. It is sunny." Or "Today is Monday, March 17, 2008. It is St. Patrick's Day." I've been writing these types of sentences whole group for a while during calendar time. It was an easy transition to move to individual work. It helped that I first made worksheets with cloze sentences on lined paper. The paper has 4 lines, and I wrote on every other line. The students filled in the blanks (Today is ______. It is ______), then copied the sentence on the line below. They could draw a picture in the blank space above the lines. The type of sentences I gave them depended on the level of the student.

Their journals also contain a blank calendar page (a grid with the days of the week typed in it). They wrote in March at the top. Each day, they continue the pattern for the month (we use Saxon at our school. The calendar pieces are various shapes and colors that make patterns. This month is an ABC pattern of green, white, orange using triangles.) Students draw in the triangle for the day, write the number of the day inside the triangle (17 for today), and then they color it in lightly with a crayon. They check their answers when we are whole group. It seems to work out nicely, and it gives me time to work with the handful of students who can't do this type of work. Instead, we work on number recognition, counting, and patterns alone for about 10 minutes. When we reconviene for whole group calendar, I pretend like I magically know what answers they have written. (of course, I've spied on them). They love it that I just KNOW their answers.

Tags
days, months, teaching, week