A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 02-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Rookie

Key West, Fl
High School Teacher
Teaching Kids to Write Fantastic Hooks!

Teaching Kids to Write Fantastic Hooks

When it comes to teaching kids writing, one of the most important strategies to teach is how to write a hook. The hook is the very first sentence in the essay, and a good one creates a lasting impression with the reader. One mistake I see kids frequently making is writing general statements for a hook such as:

Hello, my name is _____________and today I am going to write about…
Volunteering after school is an important part of learning responsibility…

The biggest mistake is the teacher neglecting to correct this error. In my writing program, TeachUS”Write,” there are 8 types of hooks for writing an essay:

8 TYPES OF HOOKS

Question
When writing a question, try to create a picture in the reader’s mind. Use the words who, what, when, where, why, is, how, or are at the beginning of the sentence.

When writing a quote, it can be a direct quotation from a book, TV show, movie, or a famous person.

Onomatopoeia
Onomatopoeia is a word that makes sounds. Those can be animal sounds, car sounds, or any other sound. Examples include: Bang! Woof! or Cock-a-doodle-doo!

Poem
Use a poem from a famous author, or make up your own.

Song
Use a line or two from your favorite song on the radio. Make sure you relate it to your essay.

Interjection
Interjections express emotions. Examples are Aha!, Stop!, Ugh!, Help!, Well!, YOW!, Brrrr!, Yummy!

Startling Statistic
Statistics show relationships with numbers. Find a surprising statistic involving your topic.

Dialogue
Dialogue features two or more people talking.

Here is an example of 8 different hooks which could be used for writing an expository essay about my favorite television show, Spongebob Squarepants:

QUESTION
• Where in the Pacific Ocean can you find a delicious Krabby Patty to eat, live in a pineapple, and drive in an underwater boat? Bikini Bottom, of course!

• "Do you smell that? That smell--It's the smell of a smelly smell that smells smelly," stated Spongebob from the show Spongebob Squarepants.

ONOMATOPOEIA
• "Meooowww!" said Gary, Spongebob's pet snail.

POEM
• Roses are red, violets are blue. I love Spongebob Squarepants, do you?

SONG
• "Are ya ready kids? Aye, aye, Captain. I can't hear you! Aye, aye Captain. Ohhhh!" My favorite TV show started to play on Nickelodeon.

INTERJECTION
• "Noooo!" Don't touch the TV, I am watching my favorite show, Spongebob Squarepants.

STARTLING STATISTIC
• Over 1 million adults and children worldwide tune in to watch the TV show, Spongebob Squarepants on a weekly basis

DIALOGUE
• "There's nothing wrong with getting kissys from your grandmother," said Spongebob. "No, especially if you're a big baby who wears diapers!" responded Fish.

WHY USE POP CULTURE TO TEACH KIDS HOW TO WRITE EFFECTIVELY?

Students only learn when a connection is made. I use pop culture to grab the students’ attention and help them understand complex concepts. I survey my students at the beginning of the school year and begin to use these interests to design my lesson plans. When instructing children on writing hooks, focus on one or two types of hooks every day. Do not overwhelm them with too many writing tasks, either. I would suggest writing an essay together, focusing one detail at a time. It is the most effective way to teach kids how to write.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Hey! This is great. I love this list you have. Thanks! That's what I've been teaching my kids too, but this list could help!
Old 02-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Rookie

Key West, Fl
High School Teacher
You're welcome. I find this very helpful for students. Most kids don't have a clue about how to start their essays. Some ask, "Do I need a hook?" Absolutely Yes! It will make the difference in you scoring a 6 or a 3. Even if you ask a question, it beats making a generalized statement. I hope this list helps you in the classroom.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:10 AM
Habitué

Missouri
I use these hooks when teaching kids how to write speeches. Thanks for posting this - it is nice to have everything laid out just a little differently.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Newcomer

I find this very helpful for students.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:40 AM
Comrade

new mexico
Thanks for the post! I teach similar tips to my students, but I love the Spongebob examples. That is going to "hook" a lot of students.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Rookie

this is great ..thanks for sharing. Like how you relate it to pop culture the kids are familiar with and love.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Comrade

California
6th Grade Language Arts
Every year the students come to me writing "Hi, my name is...." It drives me crazy!! The students' textbook even uses "In this essay I hope to answer that question..." as an example and I have to tell them not to use that example!
Old 01-07-2014, 11:31 PM
Newcomer

best research writing companies

Dear the essay writing task is really an easy work if any one is ready to help us. if the helping one is an expert person then it is really a great deal for us. So try to find the expert person form any best research writing companies or any related working field.

Tags
fantastic, hooks, kids, teaching, write