A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 01-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Groupie

3rd Grade Teacher
Valentine's Day Party Games

Does anyone have any Valentine's Day party games? My room mothers always seem to fall through the cracks. The mother that is supposed to supply the games never shows up (Halloween and Christmas). I won't even go into our food situation. Let's just say the kids got clementines and rice krispie treats for their snack at our Christmas party...

So I'm stocking up on game ideas myself. Let me have 'em!

Old 01-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Newcomer

I have an easy one that can be expanded into a history lesson. Victorian Valentines. You can explain the origins of the valentines card as we know it (an excellent online presentation with images is indiana.edu/~liblilly/valentines/valentine.html
(add the www. at the front. I haven't been a member long enough to post full links.)

Print out several of those pages, or from other sources you might have. Students can cut out the valentine, glue onto cardstock or construction paper and decorate with ribbons, lace, paper doilies, vines, flowers, whatever craft objects you can find.

I did this for the 1st time last year in my son's 3rd grade class, and they loved it. Even the boys. I told them they could all take them home and give them to their moms!
Old 01-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Companion

You could play BINGO using heart-shaped candies as markers.

If you are VERY brave, you could play "Honey, If You Love Me, Smile".

As a very silly game, collect pictures of famous male and female characters, such as Dora, Spiderman, Oscar the Grouch, Ronald McDonald, Annie, Cinderella, etc. The goofier, the better! Tell the children that cupid will be pairing them with their one true love, and that their job is to guess who it is. Tape a picture on each child's back. They must go around the room asking one another "yes" or "no" questions to discover the identity of their secret Valentine!
Old 01-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Phenom

College admin.
I am also looking for Valentine's ideas for older kids (6th) In previous years, all my kids wanted to do was watch a movie, but I hate doing that. They are kind of over making the Valentine's, although they do love having a contest for the best Valentine box. I am with cmc-keep those ideas coming!

Bernard, is the game with the characters what you call "Honey, If You Love Me, Smile"? If not, what is that?
Old 01-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Groupie

3rd Grade Teacher
Good ideas so far! I like the bingo idea.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Companion

Honey If You Love Me, Smile:

Children stand in a circle. One child is "it", and stands inside the circle.
This child must approach a member of the circle and say, "Honey, if you love me, smile. He/she can use a silly voice, add "pretty please", beg on his knees, etc., but cannot touch the member of the circle.

The child who is asked to smile must respond, "Honey, I love you, but I just can't smile" while keeping a straight face - no smiling or laughing!

If this is accomplished, the child who is "it" must move on and ask someone else. If not (if the child responding laughs or smiles) he/she must become "it".

You can have two people be "it" at once to help children feel a little less self-conscious.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Aficionado

Nebraska
To Be Determined
Not a game really, more like a creative writing activity. Buy a package of those small conversation heart candies. Give each student 10 candies (with messeges they can actually read) to use in a story-the sillier the better. While they write they glue down each candy onto the paper in place of actually writing the words on the candy. My rule is that no names of anyone in our school may be used in the stories, and I keep a baby name book on hand in case anyone gets stuck. Anything embarrassing or inapropriate results in a 0 in the grade book and the priviledge of reading their masterpeice aloud to the principal and parents. This has always kept everyone "in bounds". And they love eating other candies while they write.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Fanatic

Arizona
2nd Grade Teacher
Not games but...
My kids write compliment letters to each other the week of valentine's day. They pick the person's name from a jar so everyone will get a letter. They might not get their best friend but they need to come up with a few nice things to say about that person. Then on the big day they get to read it to the class and the person gets to keep the letter. It's so cute!

Also I have a math packet for the conversation hearts. Sorting, graphing, adding, subtracting, etc. Fun stuff!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:06 PM
Cohort

TX
Elementary PE Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
You could play BINGO using heart-shaped candies as markers.
hey, you stole my idea!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Companion

Sorry, PEteacher07. I'll try not to do it again.

Tags
day, games, party, valentine