A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-26-2008, 03:31 PM
vsimpkins's Avatar
vsimpkins vsimpkins is offline
Comrade
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 429
Santa Clarita/CA
K-6
Strengths and Weaknesses

I'm preparing for interviews for this year. I know that they always ask what your strengths and weaknesses are. I'm not sure how to address this during an interview, because I want to be positive and not negative.

Strengths - extremely organized, put a lot of thought in every lesson, passionate, caring, have humor, motivated

Weaknesses - during a lesson when a student is discussing a situation or thought it's not easy for me to stop the student's train of thought and refocus, Not knowing enough on the computer, planning to touch every student for understanding.

How does this sound? Help
Reply With Quote

 
  #2  
Old 01-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Caesar753's Avatar
Caesar753 Caesar753 is offline
Multitudinous
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsimpkins View Post
planning to touch every student for understanding


I'm not sure what this means, but I would totally avoid talking about touching students.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-26-2008, 05:24 PM
hipteachergirl's Avatar
hipteachergirl hipteachergirl is offline
Companion
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 114
Oklahoma
4th Grade Teacher
When I interviewed, I said that my strength was understanding where students were coming from and really being able to see things from their level. I said that my weakness was time management. I said that there are too many things I want to do with my students in a day, but never enough time to fit them in. I also mentioned that I know this will get better with time, as it seems like many 1st year teachers struggle with this.

I hope this helps!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-26-2008, 05:53 PM
INteacher's Avatar
INteacher INteacher is offline
Aficionado
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,898
Indiana
High School Social Studies
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipteachergirl View Post
When I interviewed, I said that my strength was understanding where students were coming from and really being able to see things from their level. I said that my weakness was time management. I said that there are too many things I want to do with my students in a day, but never enough time to fit them in. I also mentioned that I know this will get better with time, as it seems like many 1st year teachers struggle with this.

I hope this helps!
I agree with time management as a "weakness" mainly because while it is a weakness and important as a new teacher to reconize, it is also an expected weakness. I think all teachers struggle at one time or another with time managment. So, I think this is a way to answer the question without worrying about adding any real negatives. Good Luck
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-27-2008, 05:38 PM
GrandHighWitch's Avatar
GrandHighWitch GrandHighWitch is offline
Companion
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 172
4th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsimpkins View Post
Weaknesses - during a lesson when a student is discussing a situation or thought it's not easy for me to stop the student's train of thought and refocus, Not knowing enough on the computer, planning to touch every student for understanding.

How does this sound? Help
When you say the part about computer skills, you might want to add that you would be interested in learning more about computers. Ask if the district has workshops and teacher training for technology. In this day and age, it's important to know how to use a computer as a teaching tool and resource, and asking about workshops not only shows that you recognize this as a weakness of yours, but that you're interested in professional development to improve your skills.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-07-2009, 11:32 AM
newteacher08's Avatar
newteacher08 newteacher08 is offline
Companion
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 122
Michigan
2nd Grade Teacher
I was wondering the same thing.....what are people saying their weaknesses are and how do you word it to sound positive!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-07-2009, 12:06 PM
vsimpkins's Avatar
vsimpkins vsimpkins is offline
Comrade
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 429
Santa Clarita/CA
K-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by newteacher08 View Post
I was wondering the same thing.....what are people saying their weaknesses are and how do you word it to sound positive!!!!
I've learned that I am always learning new and innovative ways of teaching. So, my weakness may be writing, as I am always learning and want to continue learning better techniques on getting students motivated to write. We are always learning ways to better improve our teaching stategies.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-07-2009, 12:43 PM
AnonyMS's Avatar
AnonyMS AnonyMS is offline
Habitué
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 811
USA
Middle School ELA (6th grade)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie753 View Post


I'm not sure what this means, but I would totally avoid talking about touching students.
Cassie - LOL... I read it as the OP meaning "reach" each student. Not physically touching them! LOL
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-07-2009, 03:55 PM
DHE's Avatar
DHE DHE is offline
Connoisseur
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,824
Swamp Country
2nd Grade Teacher
I had a professor who told us that we should make our weakness sound as positive as our strength. Example, I could say that dedication is one of my strengths, but I can also say that dedication is a weakness because balance is needed. You don't want to be so dedicated that you get "burn out."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-07-2009, 04:27 PM
WindyCityGal606's Avatar
WindyCityGal606 WindyCityGal606 is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,397
USA
Elementary
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsimpkins View Post
I'm preparing for interviews for this year. I know that they always ask what your strengths and weaknesses are. I'm not sure how to address this during an interview, because I want to be positive and not negative.

Strengths - extremely organized, put a lot of thought in every lesson, passionate, caring, have humor, motivated

Weaknesses - during a lesson when a student is discussing a situation or thought it's not easy for me to stop the student's train of thought and refocus, Not knowing enough on the computer, planning to touch every student for understanding.

How does this sound? Help
You never want to say you are "too" anything, especially ---too organized because that can be read as unflexible and set in your ways.

Also, don't say your weakness is getting kids to refocus because this means you don't know how to keep your lessons and your students focused and on task.

Can you leave those out?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
strengths, weaknesses

Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off










All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:16 PM.


Copyright © 1997-2010 A to Z Teacher Stuff, L.L.C.  All Rights Reserved.
Use of this site signifies your agreement to the terms of use.
Questions, comments, and suggestions: Contact Us
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.