A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 01-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Comrade

Santa Clarita/CA
K-6
Strengths and Weaknesses

I'm preparing for interviews for this year. I know that they always ask what your strengths and weaknesses are. I'm not sure how to address this during an interview, because I want to be positive and not negative.

Strengths - extremely organized, put a lot of thought in every lesson, passionate, caring, have humor, motivated

Weaknesses - during a lesson when a student is discussing a situation or thought it's not easy for me to stop the student's train of thought and refocus, Not knowing enough on the computer, planning to touch every student for understanding.

How does this sound? Help

Old 01-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Multitudinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsimpkins View Post
planning to touch every student for understanding

I'm not sure what this means, but I would totally avoid talking about touching students.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Companion

Oklahoma
4th Grade Teacher
When I interviewed, I said that my strength was understanding where students were coming from and really being able to see things from their level. I said that my weakness was time management. I said that there are too many things I want to do with my students in a day, but never enough time to fit them in. I also mentioned that I know this will get better with time, as it seems like many 1st year teachers struggle with this.

I hope this helps!
Old 01-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Aficionado

Indiana
High School Social Studies
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipteachergirl View Post
When I interviewed, I said that my strength was understanding where students were coming from and really being able to see things from their level. I said that my weakness was time management. I said that there are too many things I want to do with my students in a day, but never enough time to fit them in. I also mentioned that I know this will get better with time, as it seems like many 1st year teachers struggle with this.

I hope this helps!
I agree with time management as a "weakness" mainly because while it is a weakness and important as a new teacher to reconize, it is also an expected weakness. I think all teachers struggle at one time or another with time managment. So, I think this is a way to answer the question without worrying about adding any real negatives. Good Luck
Old 01-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Companion

4th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Weaknesses - during a lesson when a student is discussing a situation or thought it's not easy for me to stop the student's train of thought and refocus, Not knowing enough on the computer, planning to touch every student for understanding.

When you say the part about computer skills, you might want to add that you would be interested in learning more about computers. Ask if the district has workshops and teacher training for technology. In this day and age, it's important to know how to use a computer as a teaching tool and resource, and asking about workshops not only shows that you recognize this as a weakness of yours, but that you're interested in professional development to improve your skills.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Companion

Michigan
2nd Grade Teacher
I was wondering the same thing.....what are people saying their weaknesses are and how do you word it to sound positive!!!!
Old 03-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Comrade

Santa Clarita/CA
K-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by newteacher08 View Post
I was wondering the same thing.....what are people saying their weaknesses are and how do you word it to sound positive!!!!
I've learned that I am always learning new and innovative ways of teaching. So, my weakness may be writing, as I am always learning and want to continue learning better techniques on getting students motivated to write. We are always learning ways to better improve our teaching stategies.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Habitué

USA
Middle School ELA (6th grade)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie753 View Post

I'm not sure what this means, but I would totally avoid talking about touching students.
Cassie - LOL... I read it as the OP meaning "reach" each student. Not physically touching them! LOL
Old 03-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Connoisseur

Swamp Country
2nd Grade Teacher
I had a professor who told us that we should make our weakness sound as positive as our strength. Example, I could say that dedication is one of my strengths, but I can also say that dedication is a weakness because balance is needed. You don't want to be so dedicated that you get "burn out."
Old 03-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Enthusiast

USA
Elementary
Quote:
I'm preparing for interviews for this year. I know that they always ask what your strengths and weaknesses are. I'm not sure how to address this during an interview, because I want to be positive and not negative.

Strengths - extremely organized, put a lot of thought in every lesson, passionate, caring, have humor, motivated

You never want to say you are "too" anything, especially ---too organized because that can be read as unflexible and set in your ways.

Also, don't say your weakness is getting kids to refocus because this means you don't know how to keep your lessons and your students focused and on task.

Can you leave those out?

Tags
strengths, weaknesses