A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Fifth Grade

Old 12-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Comrade

Missouri
5th Grade Teacher
Force and Motion Science Help!!

As some of you know, I'm a first year 5th grade teacher. I'm the science teacher for my "team." Well, our next science unit is "Force and Motion." There are no books or resources for this unit. The other science teachers have never taught it before, so they don't have any materials I can borrow either. The only resource I have is a poorly written curriculum that is not helpful at all!

I have a list of objectives I am supposed to be teaching that (hopefully) line up with Missouri's grade level expectations. We are only allowed to teach the curriculum, not the GLEs, but that's another thread entirely!! Anyway, I would really appreciate any lesson ideas or activities that you all have tried. I've been doing some research online and found some ideas, but I could sure use some more!!

Here are the objectives:

1. classify different types of motion (curved, straigh, back and forth)
2. identify the forces acting on the motion of objects traveling in a straight line
3. recognize friction as a force that slows down or stops a moving object that is touching another object or surface
4. compare the forces (measured by a spring scale) required to overcome friection when an object moves over different surfaces
5. identify forces acting on a load and use a spring scale to measure the weight of the load
6. determine the gravitational pull of the Earth on an object using a spring scale
7. recognize that balanced forces actring on an object do not affect an object's motion, while unbalanced forces change its speed, direction of motion, or both
8. explain and predict how increasing or decreasing the amount of force, mass, or speed of an object affects the motion of that object
9. predict the effects of an electrostatic force on the motion of objects
10. describe how friction affects the amount of force needed to do work over different surfaces or rhough different media
11. explain how work can be done on an object
12. recognize simple machines change the amound of effort and/or direction of force and identify the common everyday simple machines
13. compare the measures of effort force needed to lift a load with and without the use of simple machines.

The curriculum does suggest learner activities, but a lot of them are vague and not really explained. The section where resources should be listed is BLANK!! I have some ideas already, but any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am feeling incredibly overwhelmed at the moment.....

Old 12-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
I'm guessing you already found this: http://classroom.jc-schools.net/sci-units/force.htm.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:03 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
For your own purposes, look through this: http://www.learner.org/interactives/parkphysics/.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Comrade

Missouri
5th Grade Teacher
Thanks, TeacherGroupie. Yes, I've been on both those sites. I have a smartboard in my room, so I think I'm going to show my kids the roller coaster site at some point. They'll enjoy it. I've been poring through that first site quite a bit too. It's saved to my favorites on my laptop while I hunt for ideas.

I remember seeing a set of science books in the store room at school that we don't use. I'm wondering if they have a unit on force and motion. Does anyone use a green science book w/ a tiger on the cover?? I'm not sure who the publisher is. I'll be back at school Wednesday, so I guess I can wait. All the uncertainty is driving me nuts!!
Old 01-27-2008, 07:20 AM
Companion

AIMS?

Do you know of anybody that has AIMS materials? That is what I rely on for teaching forces and motion! Here is their website www.aimsedu.org. If your state doesn't have materials, try to find a state that has similar standards.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Devotee

Georgia
4th Grade Teacher
Here is a lesson I did for an observation. It was performance-based and covered gravitational pull.

Lesson will begin with an introduction to vocabulary. Words will be placed on pocket chart and copied into science journals. (Gravity, force, motion, speed, Newton)

Ask: What will happen if I drop 2 balls (same size, weight, etc.) at the same time? Demonstrate, and then discuss what happened.

Ask: What will happen if I drop 2 balls (different size, weight, etc.) (Hypothesizing)

Performance Based Activities/Assessment
Pair students (pairs assigned by teacher to assure difference in ability levels, peer teaching); give each pair several different types of balls. Let them experiment to see which will land 1st when dropped simultaneously. Have students create graphs/charts/tables to summarize their data. Take students into courtyard where trays of sand are already set up. Have students investigate what will happen when they drop two balls simultaneously into sand; which land with more force. Give students time to experiment and theorize why balls land at the same time and why some indentions are deeper than others. Graph new data about force.

Bring group back together, discuss observations. Was your hypothesis correct? Hang charts/tables. Compare data.

Play interactive game about forces and motion/friction: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/science...friction.shtml Introduce new vocabulary word (friction).

Follow up lessons – cars on ramps (with and without friction), balloon racers – reinforce concepts of force, gravity, motion, friction, and Newton’s laws

Tags
force, motion, science