A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > New Teachers Archives

Old 04-19-2004, 03:29 PM
Rookie

NJ
Student Teacher Farewell Letter

I was wondering if anyone had any examples, thoughts or ideas for a letter to students and parents at then end of my student teaching experince.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-19-2004, 03:31 PM
Rookie

NJ
sorry - that was supposed to be: at the end of my student teaching experience.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:00 PM
Devotee

New York
Graduate Student
I gave each of my students a book when I left and I put this selection from a Pablo Cassals poem inside the cover:

Do you know what you are? You are a marvel. You are unique. In all the world, there is no child exactly like you. In the millions of years that have passed, there has never been another child like you… You have the capacity for anything.

Then I also gave my cooperating teacher a book and I put this different selection from the same poem inside the cover:

And what do we teach our children? We teach them that two and two make four and that Paris is the capital of France. When will we also teach them: Do you know what you are? You are a marvel. You are unique…You have the capacity for anything

I spent some time with the kids talking about what the big words meant. I didn't do anything for parents--it was an inner city placement and parents weren't exactly visible.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:48 PM

Illinois
Preschool Teacher
In my first placement, I gave my class a book to add to the library, and I had a little note for each kid in their mailboxes... something short and sweet that I had typed up for the whole class, and then I added a little note to each one that I wrote about something special about them. They loved it. For my cooperating teacher, I gave her a figurine of Snoopy taking a nap since she loves Snoopy and we always joked about needing a nap.

My 2nd placement was in England, and I just gave the class a book about the US (I read it to them on my first day there, so it was even more psecial) and some candy. My cooperating teacher got a gift certificate to a specialty store she'd been wanting ot go to but had never been.

(I brought my CT and my class stuff from England when I came back to visit).

I didn't do anything for the parents either time because I wasn't very involved with them in either placement.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Phenom

Midwest
I had someone take a digital pic of me & each student... I did a unique farewell to each of them.... They loved getting a card w/ a pic of us on the front!!!! This was K.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Rookie

Massachusetts
When I finished my student teaching, I gave the class a few games to use at indoor recess. I also typed up a quick note saying having a great summer, etc and attached a fun pencil.

One thing (which I'm really glad I did) you might want to do is give the kids a survey of your teaching. I asked questions about my fairness, discipline, favorite/least favorite activities, etc. Although they were only 4th graders, I got some great feedback!

Good luck!

Tags
farewell, letter, student, teacher